Respected Contributor

Re: Living Room - Before and After...

@stevieb 

There's nothing I like about the first pic.

The 2nd pic is a huge transition.  One would never know they were the same room.  It's a nice improvement, although too formal for me.

Esteemed Contributor

I love the after pic but the art would have to go. 

Honored Contributor

I don’t find anything of interest in the room in either picture.   Not a fan of built ins, fireplaces, or so much white.  

Honored Contributor

I like both before and after but prefer the before with changes.  The art work in the after picture needs to go, it does nothing for the room.  I would like to see more of the before room as that picture doesn't show much.

Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@stevieb 

Rather than a glass coffee table in the After pix, it would be more comfortable to have the ottoman there with a large serving tray for refreshments.  

@jlkz  For some reason I seem to think that table is plexiglas, probably chosen to add to the more glam/contemporary vibe of the 'after' look they were going for... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I like the after except for the pic over the fireplace.

Respected Contributor

@stevieb 

Either Plexiglass or glass, ottoman is warmer, great for resting legs, quieter, etc.   Tray could be any non breakable material.

At my shore house, I have a huge tufted cushion that folks can place on top of the glass to get comfortable without worrying about marring any surface.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Although I think the fireplace is appealing, I agree with the several others who think it was unfortunate not to have retained the original. It would have worked nicely with the more contemporary decor. Also like others, I think the art above the fireplace is an unfortunate choice.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

The "After" is a big improvement......although i would have chosen other artwork for over the fireplace....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Although I think the fireplace is appealing, I agree with the several others who think it was unfortunate not to have retained the original. It would have worked nicely with the more contemporary decor. Also like others, I think the art above the fireplace is an unfortunate choice.

Agree with this.   And in the "before" picture, I had to scratch my head....I don't understand why someone would have a lovely fireplace and place chairs with their backs to it!