Honored Contributor

Re: Listed our camper for sale today.

Definitely a bitter sweet decision to make. 

Hard, because Pittsburgh is 'home' for most of your life.

Hard, because having the freedom to come and go between two worlds, both of which you enjoy, is not really ending, but changing in the way you do it.

Hard, because it isn't really a fully independednt decision (like you simply like one place and the other, not so much), but dictated by age/physical demands.

It will quickly become a 'new normal'. I think everyone that snowbirds realizes it won't last forever, or it won't stay the same forever. You like your area of Florida, it isn't like a move to a totally new place, it is already one of your 'homes' so that is great. Not a lot of new and strange places to decide on or get used to.

So some good stuff, some letting go, which might not be as easy.

Best of luck on selling, hope it is easy and profitable. Have fun with the family for all the wedding festivities, as this might be the last really long visit you spend there. 

Respected Contributor

@151949

I am so sorry to read that your camping sojourn chapter is coming to an end.  I know how much pleasure it gave to you both.  Folks don't understand the amount of work involved: friends of ours went through this type life chapter a while ago.

Hope DH can enjoy the new house with minimal work involved.  Hope his health permits this pleasure.

Sorry to read about your fall.  A few years ago when I was 70, I fell down the mountain house stairs.  We ended up putting a small, very small master suite on the first floor.  Rarely do I go upstairs.  Thank goodness ho e is a rancher!

May you both enjoy this new chapter !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Well you enjoyed it while you could and now have the good sense to leave it behind and move on to a lifestyle that better suits your needs.  As bad as it was, that fall could have totally debilitated you.  I'm glad there were only bruises and no broken bones. We are not retired yet, but I would love a little part-time home in northern Wisconsin - a camper would be perfect.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG wrote:

Well you enjoyed it while you could and now have the good sense to leave it behind and move on to a lifestyle that better suits your needs.  As bad as it was, that fall could have totally debilitated you.  I'm glad there were only bruises and no broken bones. We are not retired yet, but I would love a little part-time home in northern Wisconsin - a camper would be perfect.

Oh it really is perfect. You just pack your clothes and get in the car. We have always paid the dealer we bought from - they come and winterize everything and GUARANTEE their work.So we don't have to worry about draining tanks and pumping antifreeze. etc . Totally worth $50 they charged. A camper is meant to be left in the winter without heat - unlike a house where you must leave the furnace running. We empty the fridge and clean it - leave it open. When they winterize the take care of the water lines to the ice maker - no problem. We pay $400 in the fall for winter storage on our site then another $1500 for the summer of camping. Our campground includes water and cable TV so all we pay for is internet thru the cable co and our electric.So much less than buying a house - taxes and utilities etc. If you want to snowbird I highly recommend getting a nice comfortable camper. You'll find if you don't get crazy wanting bells and whistles you can be very comfortable for around $50,000. And, of course there is always gently used - how about ours?

Spoiler
Smiley Very Happy

King size bed and all - I'll give you a good deal - just kidding. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 what you describe sounds very appealing.  I like the reasonable dollar amounts.  It just sounds strange to live in Wisconsin and vacation in Wisconsin, but that would be my preference.

Honored Contributor

It seems like it was just yeasterday when you were talking about upgrading to your currant camper.  Best of luck selling it and moving on to full time Florida living!

Trusted Contributor

I'm so sorry, @151949. I remember how excited you were when you purchased it Woman Sad. What will you two kids do with all that freedom? Woman LOL

Seriously, you will find other interests and easier ways to travel if that's your plan. Best wishes.

dee

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@millieshops  I read in the paper before we left Florida that 80 % of the homeowners of Fl. started out as snowbirds and that 3/4 of those still do snowbird. Where we live there are only 12 out of 140 full time residents and of those 8 are widows who used to snowbird before their husbands died.

Wow...your subdivision must be a ghost town in the summer.  Good luck with selling your camper.

Honored Contributor

@Tyak Actually, last summer I was home for a couple weeks to help a friend who was having back surgery. Anyway , I mentioned to my next door neighbor(one of the widows) that there were more people around than I expected and she said various people come and go all summer long. She said it is kinda amazing how often some of the neighbors come and go.

Honored Contributor

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

I'm so sorry, @151949. I remember how excited you were when you purchased it Woman Sad. What will you two kids do with all that freedom? Woman LOL

Seriously, you will find other interests and easier ways to travel if that's your plan. Best wishes.

dee

We got this camper mid summer 2013 so we have had it 4 years.