Respected Contributor

Lightening and Brightening ...

I am one that likes warm tones for my homes interior. Went thru the entire house and room by room removed some dark decor items,

Added a few large pieces to the mix in off white and beige  - and brightened things right up!

Anyhow, I am liking the lighter decor look. It is still mixed in with darker woods, but by taking away some dark decor pieces made a world of difference. I mean a total difference! Liking it!

Also, opening up floor space does wonders for a room! Let those beautiful floors speak for themselves and reflect some light in the process! 

Happy decorating! 😀

- PS - just do not get rid of the stuff you took away ...  you may change your mind

in a few weeks or months down the road 😂! We as women do change our minds quite frequently it seems ... yep!

-Texas Hill Country-
Frequent Contributor

Re: Lightening and Brightening ...

Interesting post. I like warm tones too and when my parents lived with us they brought many pieces of furniture, all in very dark wood - espresso color. They moved in with my sister and left it all behind. I have Latte color walls and light wood floors and all the dark wood is too much for me. I am in the process of moving/downsizing and have listed several pieces on Craigslist. My dilema is whether or not to keep any of the pieces that do not sell or just donate. This gives me an idea that I might be able to encorporate a piece or two and decorate around it. Part of me wants to start fresh but I also realize that furnishing an entire apartment will take time and get expensive. Thanks for the inspiration.

Trusted Contributor

@CAMOGIRL

In the process of doing the very same thing. Loving the off-whites, creams, natural textured and rustic-type accessories. Loving how simple and inviting this look is. There's a ton of inspiration in the stores, and prices decent where I shop at.

(TJMaxx, Marshall's, Target). It will need pacing and scrounging for deals. 😊👍🏼

⚓️
Respected Contributor

@CAMOGIRL wrote:

I am one that likes warm tones for my homes interior. Went thru the entire house and room by room removed some dark decor items,

Added a few large pieces to the mix in off white and beige  - and brightened things right up!

Anyhow, I am liking the lighter decor look. It is still mixed in with darker woods, but by taking away some dark decor pieces made a world of difference. I mean a total difference! Liking it!

Also, opening up floor space does wonders for a room! Let those beautiful floors speak for themselves and reflect some light in the process! 

Happy decorating! 😀

- PS - just do not get rid of the stuff you took away ...  you may change your mind

in a few weeks or months down the road 😂! We as women do change our minds quite frequently it seems ... yep!

I also like the lighter/brighter colors.  The whites, creams and naturals.  We moved into a new home 3 years ago.  The previous owners really liked color.  My kitchen is a dark brown, my laundry room was frog green, dining room is painted in stripes in two colors of green, powder room is a dark burgundy, extra bedroom is green with a burgundy bathroom, and to top it all off....most of the ceilings are a different color (not white).  Just not my style.  WE are in the process of planning to paint formal living room and dining room first.  Can't wait!

Respected Contributor

Your decorating idea must be s trend. I saw on line a home in our neighborhood where all first floor walls were white , floors medium wood, and then much white upholstery, bedspread, etc. It is so striking and elegant in my eyes. Enjoy your surroundings.
Trusted Contributor

@CAMOGIRL

Your home sounds very inviting now.  I hope you continue enjoying the lighter interior.

I also prefer lighter, softer colors.