Honored Contributor

This picture is supposed to be about symmetry.  What do you think?

Honored Contributor

Re: Let's Talk About Symmetry

It is not my style of decor, but it is pleasing to the eye to look at, as it is very symmetrical. Your eye doesn't have to look up and down and all over as everything flows nicely..... 

Honored Contributor

The portraits are so awful I can't appreciate their symmetry.  However, I also think they extend too far in the east west direction.  The mirror would have been enough.

The entire vignette would look better with either some sort of wash on the brick, or a different furniture selection.

Respected Contributor

@jubilant no way!

Honored Contributor

@tobes wrote:

@jubilant no way!

Ha!  You and my DH must have been talking.  He just walked by the computer, saw this, and asked me if it was an advertisement for a garage sale!

Honored Contributor

Reminds me of my first MIL......she had a "pair" of EVERYTHING.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

I love brick walls.  I love gilt frames.  The sofa is a basic.  I really love symmetry.

Then why do I hate this room?  

The worse thing, though to me are those two ugly tables (I would only stick them on my porch or deck for a plant, and even then I'd think about replacing them with something nicer).  

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

It is not my style of decor, but it is pleasing to the eye to look at, as it is very symmetrical. Your eye doesn't have to look up and down and all over as everything flows nicely..... 

@CANDLEQUEEN   My thoughts exactly.  I do love symmetry and thought this was a very good example of that. The decor is rather unusual ....especially for a brick wall!

Esteemed Contributor

I really like symmetry for any room.  I think it's the OCD in me.  LOL!  This looks symmetrical except the mirror and two pictures just don't work for me so it's throwing me off.  Also, to truly be symmetrical for me, I'd replace the floor lamp with another end table and lamp.  Yeah, I know most people would think that was overkill but......OCD!!! :-)

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

I’m not a fan of symmetry in home design. For me it’s like clothing: doesn’t have to match, just has to go together.