Valued Contributor

Re: Leaves the stove on!

[ Edited ]

@Seannie If you replace it with a smart stove with an app, then yes.However; I am more concerned with your husband's behavior. If he is older, could it be early dementia? If he is generally absent minded, then no cooking for him. If he is older or has health conditions, consider mentioning this to a doctor before he sets the house on fire. The mood changes and forgetfulness are a red flag. I'd also stop leaving a pan on the oven. I might even put some chimes near the stove (hanging) or something to alert me he is in te kitchen. Keep us posted.

Valued Contributor

@KatieB You don't know that it's not the stove. On a news channel here in AZ a "New 4 month old refrigerator blew up"  and they couldn't find the reason why. Like I stated, a friend told me that an electric stove caught on fire that wasn't on...

Honored Contributor

Buy foods that don't need to be cooked.

Honored Contributor

Burner Alert sounds like a great idea for me! 

My husband has also been forgetful with the gas burners on our stove top.  It's been like this for several years and though he's gotten a lot better after I've given him a lot of grief over it, he's making an effort to remember but occasionally forgets.  He has an autoimmune illness that keeps him obsessed with his disease so he tends to be absent minded while thinking of all of the things he has to do.

I'm going to look into Burner Alert!

Trusted Contributor

I think even if you do mention it to him, you will still have to check for yourself after he has been in the kitchen. We have to cover for each other in life and I don't know what else you can do, except check after he is done cooking. 

Honored Contributor

@Seannie - My family went through something similar with my grqndmother, who lived alone. She was leaving the stove on, burning pans, and putting them under the bed. She would then go out and buy new ones. My uncle discovered what was going on. After a visit (she fought hard to avoid) to her doctor and some tests, the doctor thought she would need to have a live-in companion. That presented itself perfectly when a local nurse offered to take her in as a boarder. She was no longer working herself because she was home taking care of her own mother. My grandmother refused. Two of her children who lived near her checked on her constantly. Less than a year later she was diagnosed with bone cancer and hospitalized. She eventually moved to the skilled nursing section of the hospital. 

You deserve to be happy and not constantly worried about what your husband will do or say. Good luck to you. 

Respected Contributor

I have a gas stove now, but the electric range that was here when I moved in had a Sabbath mode lockout feature, but I think it might have only worked for the oven, not sure. 

You could take the knobs off the stove!

Respected Contributor

Re: Leaves the stove on!

[ Edited ]

@Seannie, I think you will have to be more vigilant whenever your husband is using the stove. I don’t see how alerts or systems can help him remember, when he seems to have memory loss.

Esteemed Contributor

I think a lot of assumptions are being made about the husband's mental state; in the original post and later posts from the OP, nothing is mentioned about it, so it's very possible that he's just inattentive when cooking and becomes defensive when his mistake is discovered and pointed out to him (especially if he has a short fuse). I know plenty of men at virtually every age and state of mind that have those issues!  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

5 times in a month seems like a lot, I'd be concerned.