Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@Seannie - I just did a Google search to see if there were any products that would alert you when a burner is left on, as this seems to be a common problem. Here's one option I found: https://burneralert.com/

Those types of burner alerts would not work on an electronic stove like I have.  My stove does not have any knobs. 

I keep a whistling tea kettle kettle filled with water on my stove top..  When I remove a hot pan off of the burner, I put the tea kettle on the hot spot.  I have burned myself a few times when I forgot the empty burner was hot, so I cover it with the tea kettle to protect myself.

Once I forgot to turn the burner off and was alerted when the tea kettle started to whistle.

This might work if the OP could get her DH to do this.

Regular Contributor

Thank you all so much!  I may have to try Carmie's idea as my stove has buttons to pinch, not knobs.  This man has made me sad for 20 years and I just figured, hang on  'til one of us passes.  But recently I met a dear man (at my age!) and am considering making some life changes so perhaps a house sale is in my future and a divorce.  

Gratefully, Seannie

Regular Contributor

OP here again.  Husband's age is 65.

Seannie

Respected Contributor

Keep the stove.

Replace the husband.

Honored Contributor

Re: Leaves the stove on!

[ Edited ]

@Seannie This is an issue in my house. In the end, the person is no longer allowed to use the stove or the toaster; unfortunately, he isn't able to remember this or why so further action was necessary.  We remove the knobs from the stove and re-place them when we need to use it. The toaster is placed away and pulled out when needed. Our son does not know where we keep these items.

You do what you MUST and NEED to do in order to keep your home, you and those you  love SAFE.This is a serious situation. Very serious on many levels. I wish you peace and success. Hugs.

Honored Contributor

@Seannie  It's never too late to make changes in your life.  I wish you happiness, we all deserve it.

Honored Contributor

my aunt did this in the senior living apartments that she lived in.

after several times of doing it and setting off her fire alarm, they disconnected her range from the electric. she is no longer allowed to cook anything except in a microwave.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Verbally abusive?  Oh he would need to see a doctor if it was me.

Honored Contributor

When my MIL was living with us she left the burner going (gas). She was making tea in the morning. Fortunately my husband went home at lunch time and smelled the tea kettle knob and handle melting. Of course my MIL said it was because I left the fire going under the tea kettle before I left for work. (I don't drink tea or coffee for the matter).

It got to be such a problem. No matter how many times we asked her not to touch the stove she still did. She kept forgetting.

My husband's sister took her in because they were home much of the day. They bought a stove with locks on it. She could no longer turn the stove on because she needed to unlock the stove before it would turn on. 

Maybe you could look into a stove that locks the knobs.

Honored Contributor

I am constantly cooking something on the stove, morning, noon or night.

As a habit, I turn the timer on for as long as I think I need to check on it.  Even if I'm right there in the kitchen.

I'm a multi-tasker, always have been. 

So even though I threw something in a skillet, I still feel like I have enough time to get a load of laundry started, maybe strip a bed of the sheets, then I'm grabbing bath towels to add to the pile.  I see the sink needs a quick wipe -up. And on and on and on.

I'll hear the timer go off sometimes and think, I know I set it too soon, I have another minute or two to do this or that.

I just can't be trusted.

It's the same thing as when we didn't have coffee pots and irons (years ago when we ironed) that had auto shut off.  And you're in the car, sitting at a red light, and the terror of a thought goes through you 'did I shut it off?'.  Well, that would be the same for a stove top.  Just more serious.