Honored Contributor

Re: Leaves the stove on!

[ Edited ]

Here's a situation for me, although not quite so life-threatening as a burning stove...

Sometimes I neglectfully leave my overhead garage door open for the world to see into my garage. Inside my garage is a door which leads inside my house and I never keep that door locked because it's inside my garage. Problem is I can't visually see my overhead door from the inside. I could have left it open and gone to bed not realizing the overhead is open. So what I did is set an automatic timer to buzz every night at the same time to remind myself to check the door and make sure it is closed before I go to bed.

You can do something similar to this for anything else that needs attention on a daily schedule. Just use a repeating timer that you just set once and forget about it until it goes off.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Seannie - I just did a Google search to see if there were any products that would alert you when a burner is left on, as this seems to be a common problem. Here's one option I found: https://burneralert.com/

Respected Contributor

For some reason, I kept forgetting to turn off the burner on our (then) new glass cooktop. Sometimes there was a pan on top of it, other times you’d just see a glowing orange burner when you walked back into the kitchen. Once I became aware of my carelessness, I made a point of checking that the burners were all off before leaving the kitchen. The knobs on our cooktop are all on the left side. When a burner’s off, there’s a grey stripe that points to the 12 o’clock position. We also made a rule in our family that anyone entering the kitchen would check that the unused burners were in the off position (although I’ve shouldered the blame here, I wasn’t the only culprit). This enabled us to address this dangerous situation without playing the blame game. It’s funny how, once everyone’s aware of this problem, they stay on top of it. It beats the bleep out of risking a kitchen fire. 

Esteemed Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@Seannie - I just did a Google search to see if there were any products that would alert you when a burner is left on, as this seems to be a common problem. Here's one option I found: https://burneralert.com/

@loriqvc ..... great invention.... I would give it a try if I was in the OP’s situation 😄

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a bad habit of forgetting to turn the burner off our electric stove when I keep a pot of food warming on low. My husband who is older than I am usually catches it or I do. That burner alert sounds like a good idea, I'm going to check it out.I feel sorry for the OP if her husband is getting nasty as he ages, that could be a real danger for her. I hope she checks out the burner alert.

Honored Contributor

I think you know what it could be ,get him to a doctor.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I dont think its the stove.  It sounds as though hubby needs a checkup with his doctor.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Invest in a good induction burner and show him how to use it!

You can take the knobs off the stove so he can't turn them on without you!

Respected Contributor

@pugvette74 wrote:

@Seannie wrote:

Five times in the last month husband has turned electric burner on high and walked away after making eggs or grilled cheese.  There is usually an empty pan on this burner.  The first four times I caught it and said nothing as he gets very verbally nasty.  The fifth time he caught it and accused me of being in the kitchen, which I wasn't.

This is causing me stress and I would appreciate any suggestions.  Is there such a thing as a stove which can turn itself off?

Thanks, Seannie

Hi Seannie, Just last week a friend told me that an electric stove caught on fire that wasn't even on. Maybe you can have a repair man check out your stove. 

@pugvette74  And why would she need to have her stove checked out??  To me, it does not sound like the problem is the stove....

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not knowing his age or medical issues, I would immediately notify his doctor of these instances and ask for a referral to a geriatrician and a neurologist for dimentia & Alzheimer's testing, as well as any other posibilities of illnesses.  Early diagnosis & intervention is a must for these diseases.  My Mom was diagnosed in early stages of Alzheimer's and aggressive use of medications available at that time, as well as new ones as they were cleared by the FDA I believe were instrumental in her being with me for the following 13 years I took care of her.  For now you must make it a priority to continually check your stove.

Since he is becoming resistant to the idea that his medical condition may be changing, I suggest you discuss these instances and ask for appropriate referral requests with his physician privately, prior to going to the appointment, so the physician will know what to look for as the appointment progresses, as well as not wanting to upset your husband by your mentioning these instances to the doctor in your husbands presence, for fear he will resist intervention in some way.  They will become beligerant and in denial trying to deflect the situation back to someone else, so his reaction that you mention is to be expected.

If you are given the HIPPA doctrine because of patient privacy issues just turn around and tell them this is a health & safety issue now...yours & his, as well as your home!  You are his wife and must insist on getting him to correct physicians, testings, diagnosis & medications if necessary.  Good luck to both of you.  ❤