Regular Contributor

Five times in the last month husband has turned electric burner on high and walked away after making eggs or grilled cheese.  There is usually an empty pan on this burner.  The first four times I caught it and said nothing as he gets very verbally nasty.  The fifth time he caught it and accused me of being in the kitchen, which I wasn't.

This is causing me stress and I would appreciate any suggestions.  Is there such a thing as a stove which can turn itself off?

Thanks, Seannie

Trusted Contributor

I don't think finding a new stove is the answer.

Valued Contributor

@Seannie wrote:

Five times in the last month husband has turned electric burner on high and walked away after making eggs or grilled cheese.  There is usually an empty pan on this burner.  The first four times I caught it and said nothing as he gets very verbally nasty.  The fifth time he caught it and accused me of being in the kitchen, which I wasn't.

This is causing me stress and I would appreciate any suggestions.  Is there such a thing as a stove which can turn itself off?

Thanks, Seannie

Hi Seannie, Just last week a friend told me that an electric stove caught on fire that wasn't even on. Maybe you can have a repair man check out your stove. 

Honored Contributor

@Seannie.   They'd never make a stove that automatically turned off.  People sometimes cook things that simmer for hours.  How old is your husband?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Seannie  i feel for you. the only thing that i can think of to suggest, that as lunch nears, you offer to make it for him. i would not be comfortable with this situation at all. either that, or keep your eyeballs on the stove. maybe install a additional smoke alarm near the stove area. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Leaves the stove on!

[ Edited ]

Maybe set an alarm/timer?? ...to remind someone to check the stove and make sure it's turned off. 

Esteemed Contributor

As awkward as it is --you need to mention it to him. Suggest setting a timer so it can be a reminder for him to check the burners. I'm afraid there isn't an easy solution to this delicate and unsafe situration. Good Luck.

Esteemed Contributor

@Seannie wrote:

Thanks, Seannie

@Seannie .... sounds like HE has a problem ..... you didn’t mention how old he is but constantly leaving the stove on is a major problem along with his becoming very verbally abusive ... your stress is understandable... I would try to speak with him & bring what he is doing to his attention... maybe he needs to see the family doctor? ..... in the meantime you have to be very observant in the kitchen & keep checking the stove ... you don’t want your house to go on fire ......your life is more important 

Esteemed Contributor

Same situation my cousin had - in advanced years her husband was leaving the stove on - once an empty tea kettle was on that burner.  She smelled something - the bottom of kettle was gone.  She and he are now both gone - so I can't ask her for suggestion or how she handled it going forward.  Firm rules that husband shall not use the stove - I guess.

Honored Contributor

I read something, maybe from the current tech show going on, about some automatic sensor that can turn a gas or electric stove off and though hallelujah!  I don't know if it is on the market yet.