Honored Contributor

Leaking glass shower enclosure.

I've been reconsidering the installation of our old glass shower doors, and my ambivalence comes from the fact that Ive never EVER known a single one of them that hasn't leaked.

The door to our shower STALL is totally leak proof, but the sliding doors that were on the tub leaked like a sieve, and caused the tile at one side of the tub to buckle, resulting in an annoying several days of extra work for DH.

STILL, it has such a beautiful appearance. Does anyone have a SUCCESSFUL glass sliding tub shower enclosure, or do they ALL LEAK?

The original doors are most probably from the 50s.

Respected Contributor

Re: Leaking glass shower enclosure.

I have the glass door that swings open and it has never leaked. You might want to try that style.

Respected Contributor

Sliding doors set in tracks are ancient history.  Now a stationary panel is installed, or one part is on a hinge.  

Go to a home improvement store for ideas and watch the HGTV channel, they are always showing modernized showers.  HTH

Trusted Contributor

@@violann-----Have you considered scraping the old seal and applying new sealant?  Very carefully and slowly..  If the doors have been there since the. 50s it is probably shifted away tub.   I hope this helps. Just have patience in reapplying.   My DH is a no patience kinda guy-------tedEbear

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

I've been reconsidering the installation of our old glass shower doors, and my ambivalence comes from the fact that Ive never EVER known a single one of them that hasn't leaked.

The door to our shower STALL is totally leak proof, but the sliding doors that were on the tub leaked like a sieve, and caused the tile at one side of the tub to buckle, resulting in an annoying several days of extra work for DH.

STILL, it has such a beautiful appearance. Does anyone have a SUCCESSFUL glass sliding tub shower enclosure, or do they ALL LEAK?

The original doors are most probably from the 50s.

I've never had sliding glass tub doors that leaked, but I've also never had one that was 20 years older than I am.

Respected Contributor

When we built our house we were running out of money so we were going to add the glass doors to the tub/shower later.  Well it is 19 years later and we don't have them.  I have used shower curtains all these years and decided I like them better.  I use the fabric liner inside the tub and the decorator fabric curtain that hangs outside the tub.  You can totally change the look of your bathroom using these.  When they get yucky, throw them in the washer.  Mildewed?  No problem.  Throw out and start over.  I'm serious.