Respected Contributor

Leaking front loading washing machine ??

I bought a Maytag,  front loading ,top of the line - washing machine last July 2019.  It started leaking within a month or 2.  I had it replaced with a new machine, just like it - mind you, it took 8 -9 months to get that new machine in here. It was still under warranty.  Lo and behold, I've have this 'new machine' only a few weeks and discovered today that ''it's leaking on the floor/rug in the same exact spot as the last one did !!  I am beside myself !  Has anyone had problems with their front loading washing machines leaking (on the left front) ??   

Respected Contributor

Re: Leaking front loading washing machine ??

Google your problem and you will find many reasons why it might be leaking. It might not be the machine. Sometimes an appliance might leak because the floor is not level.

Super Contributor

I do not have a Maytag but do have an LG front load. Have you checked to see if the filter is completely tight? On mine there is a small door and inside is the filter that you are supposed to occasionally clean out. Besides something more major like a loose hose, that's all that I can suggest. If I were you I would be so upset. Good luck.

Respected Contributor

@karin334     I don't have a filter on my Maytag washing machine...that I know of. Thank you for your time and suggestions.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I have an older Maytag Neptune front loading washer that I noticed in the last year rust on the very bottom left-hand side of the front panel. Since my machine is in the basement with a big drain hole in the floor I never worried about leaks. But now that you mention it, I'm beginning to wonder if mine has always leaked but not so much to see it on the floor but to cause the bottom front panel to rust.

When I first saw the rust my thought was if the water that flows into the machine where you put the detergent in, could be overflowing just a little, and I wonder if it could be because of water pressure.

Do you have really strong water pressure? That cup that you pull out to put detergent, bleach and softener in could be overflowing. And I'm wondering if you don't have the floor level it may even be more susceptible to overflowing.

Frequent Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

I bought a Maytag,  front loading ,top of the line - washing machine last July 2019.  It started leaking within a month or 2.  I had it replaced with a new machine, just like it - mind you, it took 8 -9 months to get that new machine in here. It was still under warranty.  Lo and behold, I've have this 'new machine' only a few weeks and discovered today that ''it's leaking on the floor/rug in the same exact spot as the last one did !!  I am beside myself !  Has anyone had problems with their front loading washing machines leaking (on the left front) ??   

I have an LG--which I hate--but someone told me to be sure and drain it and clean the filter fairly frequently.  So I found the door and little hose to drain the water.but couldnt find the "filter".  My daughter explained where it was (near the drain), I unscrewed it and it was clean, so I put it back. A week later I was washing clothes and saw water coming out from the washer.  I nearly died!!  I called my daughter and she asked a bunch of questions.  The big one was "are you sure you screwed the filter on correctly and securely"  EUREKA!!!  That was it.  Be sure the filter is put back securely!! No more leaks!! (and I havent touched the filter since!)

Honored Contributor

I've had my new Maytag washer and dryer for almost a year and love them. If your second washer is leaking I'm sorry to say it just may be your issue not the washer. As someone else mentioned, it could be that it is not level. We had some slight rocking when my washer was in a spin, my dh just adjusted the legs and, boom, no more problem. 

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

my dad got one yrs ago. he had a leaking issue also. they came out to look at it. they said water builds up under the seal on the inside of the door?? and you have to wipe it out. he never knew that.. so after wash is done, he has to wipe out inside and around the door. he said when this washer goes, he wont get another one. he will get a top load one. i have to go out to a laundrymat to do my wash. i never use the front load ones. they are so small inside. i love the top load ones, so big and you can fit more in. so try and look at the seal and see if there's water building up in there that is leaking out.

Honored Contributor

Aren't you glad you raised such a smart kid?