Respected Contributor

Re: Lawn Maintenance Workers

But what alternatives do they have? They have to park and fill their equipment in front of someone's home.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

Yes, this would greatly bother me.  I get it but there are many who don't understand how outside appearances make a difference.  It's a matter of pride of ownership.    

My neighbor lets his grass grow to the city legal limit and then leaves grass clippings on sidewalk and street.  Drives me nuts.  Lawn services I have seen appear more careful with their equipment.  I wish you luck in getting point across that this sloppiness is not necessary.

Honored Contributor

This would upset me, keep trying to get this to stop,good luck.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

But what alternatives do they have? They have to park and fill their equipment in front of someone's home.  

True.  But they should do so without spilling on the ground.

Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN -

Yes it would definitely bother me!

@newjerseygirl -

Isn't that so true?! I think NJ is the only state in the country where you still don't have to pump your own gas! And I love how they only use the left lane for passing! (not speeding 100 mph!)

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

You made a mistake talking to the workers, now they are/will mostly likely make a bigger mess because it upsets you.

Obviously, your HOA people dont care since it is not on their front drive.  IMO it is time for you to take some stronger action.  Such as putting it in writing (nicely) and sending in to the HOA, management office and anyone else involved in your complex.  Give them, as an example, 30 days to get it corrected, or you will start withholding your fee (put it aside & dont spend it), and you will contact city, county and state EPA.  You could also tell them you will be also contacting a lawyer and you will be more than happy to pay your HOA fees when there is something done to elevate the situation.

This is all suggestion but it is what I would do.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

You made a mistake talking to the workers, now they are/will mostly likely make a bigger mess because it upsets you.

Obviously, your HOA people dont care since it is not on their front drive.  IMO it is time for you to take some stronger action.  Such as putting it in writing (nicely) and sending in to the HOA, management office and anyone else involved in your complex.  Give them, as an example, 30 days to get it corrected, or you will start withholding your fee (put it aside & dont spend it), and you will contact city, county and state EPA.  You could also tell them you will be also contacting a lawyer and you will be more than happy to pay your HOA fees when there is something done to elevate the situation.

This is all suggestion but it is what I would do.

Do not withhold paying your HOA fee!!

Honored Contributor

No, it wouldn't bother me because I'd realize there isn't much that can be don't about it.  The machines have to be filled.  Spillage is inevitable.  I doubt it makes the huge mess the OP describes.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have the same setup as you, and I find that people treat our parking areas/private roads as if they are public parking lots and roads.  Smokers throw their butts in the street, empty their car trash, ash trays, fast food drink containers onto the ground when they get out of their car.

They don't consider it "property" and they don't consider it part of anyone's home.  To them it's a parking lot/public dumping ground.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

Thank u for the responses.  I'd previously contacted our HOA management company on 2 separate occasions.  I'd also contacted the person on our HOA board at a prior time.  The HOA board member never responded.  The HOA management company responded once in which they stated they'd speak to the owner.

It's not as if you can just sweep away oil and gas as if it were debris.  It's there - for the duration of time.  Torrential rainstorms can't even wash it away.  Another resident across from me and I got together one weekend to try and clean it ourselves.  It lightened up all the spots somewhat, but they are still there. 

Painters use drop cloths to catch their messes.  I also suggested they do their refueling in one of the many common areas where no one lives.  There is ONE RIGHT NEXT DOOR to our building.  Walking the 20ft. over to this area is not that big of an ordeal. 

Comes down to when its not your problem, who cares?

Flowers are nature's way of laughing