Esteemed Contributor

Re: Laundry room closet - need suggestions.

If you could fit a pedestal under just the dryer, you would be gaining one drawer for storage, so that would help some.  And you wouldn't be bending as much, either.  I hope the measurements will work out ok.  Please come back and let us know.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

That in door storage looks great. May I suggest you contact a closet company out for a consult?  Its usually free.  They might have a good idea for you.  Years ago I had one come out to find out what to do with daughter's walk in closet as it had a weird configuration.  They came up with a great design and it has been best investment !  Let's face it, laundry efficiency is important.

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

If you could fit a pedestal under just the dryer, you would be gaining one drawer for storage, so that would help some.  And you wouldn't be bending as much, either.  I hope the measurements will work out ok.  Please come back and let us know.

@shoesnbags : Thank you. Need time to consider each option and what to do. I will let y'all know.

Honored Contributor

@Twins Mom wrote:

That in door storage looks great. May I suggest you contact a closet company out for a consult?  Its usually free.  They might have a good idea for you.  Years ago I had one come out to find out what to do with daughter's walk in closet as it had a weird configuration.  They came up with a great design and it has been best investment !  Let's face it, laundry efficiency is important.

@Twins Mom : Thank you. Great idea to contact closet store. Need to research what is available in my area.

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee 

What about a utility cart with wheels and a handle?

utility cart.png

Honored Contributor

So many great ideas. @Bri369  I really liked the thicker doors with a broom closet on one side and storage on the other. However, you'd want a good carpenter to build them and make sure the door frame could handle the extra weight. I sure hope you find a solution@SouthernBee .

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bri369 wrote:

@SouthernBee 

What about a utility cart with wheels and a handle?

utility cart.png

@Bri369 : I have something similar to this. But having to use my walker more makes it difficult to move things around. I have a wooden tray that I put on my walker seat to transfer items closer to the washer and dryer. Really don't know how to explain this but trying to make things easier and eliminate a few extra steps.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

So many great ideas. @Bri369  I really liked the thicker doors with a broom closet on one side and storage on the other. However, you'd want a good carpenter to build them and make sure the door frame could handle the extra weight. I sure hope you find a solution@SouthernBee .

@AuntG : Thank you. Totally agree and understand. I was just trying to research closet makers in my area. Definitely need something really sturdy. Possibility of removing the bifold doors and door frame and adding a few more inches on each side and extending forward. It really makes a difference when we share needs and concerns with others. The ideas and suggestions have been great and much appreciated.

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

@SouthernBee 

If putting in a stacking washer and dryer is out of the question, then maybe you would consider changing out the bifold doors for regular stores.  I don't know if you would have enough room to do something like this.

See the source image

@Bri369 : My friend that cleans my house came to day. She started talking and she said that she had a solution for her laundry closet. She also has back problems. She said her washer and dryer are front loaded which really irritating her back: she just ordered from Amazon the universal pedestals and will send me photos when her husband gets them installed. Wow! Then I showed her this photo. I explained that I researched on line for places like a closet store or custom made but not happy with the local reviews. She stated this is what she also needs because she can't reach her laundry cabinet. She said she knows someone that can do this and she has seen his work and has good reviews. I told her that I still needed to discuss this with DH but she will bring me the information next week. I told her that my doors would probably need to be smaller or narrow but still more storage space. But I would still like to let them give me options to see what else is available.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SouthernBee 

That's great!  I hope it works out for you.  Keep us updated Smiley Happy