Honored Contributor

Re: Laundry room closet - need suggestions.

@SouthernBee 

If you were able to get the stacking machines, this would be nice 

See the source image

Esteemed Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@SouthernBee I can't tell from the photos:  But could you put a stacked front loading apartment sized washer and dryer in the space? That would leave you room on the side and might be easier to reach for a short person like me!  

We got front loaders and I am so happy because I don't have to dig around in the washer.  It was hard to reach the bottom!  LOL!!!

@Sooner : Great idea but when needed washer and dryer. DH purchased everything for me and just replaced the washer last year. He didn't like the stacked ones. 
I need to purchase more of the long handled grabbers- need one for every room.

@SouthernBee 

You don't have to answer this, but why did your husband pick out the washer and dryer since you are apparently the one who uses them??

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

@SouthernBee 

If putting in a stacking washer and dryer is out of the question, then maybe you would consider chaning out the bifold doors for regular stores.  I don't know if you would have enough room to do something like this.

See the source image

This looks fabulous!

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@SouthernBee I can't tell from the photos:  But could you put a stacked front loading apartment sized washer and dryer in the space? That would leave you room on the side and might be easier to reach for a short person like me!  

We got front loaders and I am so happy because I don't have to dig around in the washer.  It was hard to reach the bottom!  LOL!!!

@Sooner : Great idea but when needed washer and dryer. DH purchased everything for me and just replaced the washer last year. He didn't like the stacked ones. 
I need to purchase more of the long handled grabbers- need one for every room.

@SouthernBee 

You don't have to answer this, but why did your husband pick out the washer and dryer since you are apparently the one who uses them??

@shoesnbags : He had the money at the time to make the purchase. He has been a good man and provider. I didn't know he was going to do it and would have given him reasons and examples for the stackable washer and dryer but still wondering if my height of 5 " would have been a problem. He is retired military dealing with ptsd and depression.

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

The side shelves are a good idea...put 2 on each side, the lower shelf could be even or slightly above the washer & dryer tops & place the second shelf at a height that works with the laundry containers that are stored on the lower shelf. You can buy wood shelves & have them cut to size you need at Home Depot...I had them do that for me recently. The brackets could be wood or metal, I used wood. Good Luck with your project @SouthernBee.

@kitcat51 : Thank you. This will probably be the cheapest and easiest to do but need to find someone to do it.
Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

So your DH hated the stacked washer & dryer and chose the ones that you have now.  He also got his garage.  Maybe he should do the laundry for you!

@haddon9 : Great idea but he probably wouldn't take the time to sort everything and just dump everything in one load.....😳🤷‍♀️

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

@SouthernBee 

If putting in a stacking washer and dryer is out of the question, then maybe you would consider changing out the bifold doors for regular stores.  I don't know if you would have enough room to do something like this.

See the source image

@Bri369 : I really like this.  Need to research this.

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee 

I don't know how  much clearance you would have between the doors and the back of the door for shelves.  It would be easier to put something on the back of a regular door instead of the bifold door.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SouthernBee  What about putting your washer and dryer on pedestals? They are drawers, and you can store your laundry needs in them. I'm 5'4" tall, and I have shelves above my washer & dryer I can't reach, so they're useless to me. I bought my washer & dryer & pedestals at Lowes, and Home Depot has them too. My set is in dark blue, & I love the set.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

@SouthernBee 

I don't know how  much clearance you would have between the doors and the back of the door for shelves.  It would be easier to put something on the back of a regular door instead of the bifold door.  

@Bri369 : Still a lot to consider and making and keeping it easy for washer and dryer to be pulled out for repairs. I have looked at a lot of laundry room ideas and wondered how the w/d could be pulled out for repairs because no extra space. My w/d have small pieces of carpet under each end to easy move them.