Respected Contributor

Re: Laundry room closet - need suggestions.

@SouthernBee 

Sounds like you are making real headway.  You have probably thought of this already, but I wanted to remind to make sure you have wiggle room for repairs and easy access to shut-offs.  When I see some pics of washers where access to shut offs is hidden, I cringe just thinking of water issue!  

Sorry to hear that closet company in your area has poor reviews.  I have been so pleased with the one in my area.  It is important to research.

Honored Contributor

@Twins Mom wrote:

@SouthernBee 

Sounds like you are making real headway.  You have probably thought of this already, but I wanted to remind to make sure you have wiggle room for repairs and easy access to shut-offs.  When I see some pics of washers where access to shut offs is hidden, I cringe just thinking of water issue!  

Sorry to hear that closet company in your area has poor reviews.  I have been so pleased with the one in my area.  It is important to research.

@Twins Mom : Thank you. My priority is to have easy access to washer and dryer for repairs and make cleaning vents etc. Like you was upset how some closet designs has everything crammed together. Trying to look around house to make sure everything is easy to move for cleaning or whatever. Just purchased a new lift recliner and had adhesive sliders put on the bottom especially since the den has carpet. We are decluttering rooms for easier mobility with my walker. I appreciate you and everyone for taking the time to post.

Honored Contributor

Have to say---I HATE a laundry closet!! Had one for the 35 years I was in my house and moved to a small apt that had the same type of set up-----IN THE KITCHEN!!!!!  arrrrrrgggggg Robot Sad---Then had an entire small room just for laundy and storage in a rental house----now that was amazing!!!  I aspire for a separate space for laundry-------

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

Have to say---I HATE a laundry closet!! Had one for the 35 years I was in my house and moved to a small apt that had the same type of set up-----IN THE KITCHEN!!!!!  arrrrrrgggggg Robot Sad---Then had an entire small room just for laundy and storage in a rental house----now that was amazing!!!  I aspire for a separate space for laundry-------

@wagirl : I understand and totally agree. I am trying to stay positive and thankful considering my washer and dryer were previously out side. In our other home we had a stackable washer and dryer in the kitchen and hated it because constantly wiping everything clean  because of the lint. Anyone that has an extra room for washer and dryer, plenty storage space and room to fold ..... should count there blessings. Just my thoughts.

Respected Contributor

I use a small stackable W/D @at our cabin...it is great for the everyday things I wash,  just the two of us, but is a pain for sheets and big towels.

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee Even if the carpenter had to make a new frame that was outside the existing door frame a few inches, maybe that would work.  It wouldn't look bad and the shelves on the doors could be wider that way and the new framing would be deeper and sturdier. And I don't think it would look bad either.

Maybe on one door put a rod or hook to put clothes on as you hang them up. You probably already have a place to keep the broom.

Honored Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

I use a small stackable W/D @at our cabin...it is great for the everyday things I wash,  just the two of us, but is a pain for sheets and big towels.

@Trailrun23 : totally agree and understand.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@SouthernBee Even if the carpenter had to make a new frame that was outside the existing door frame a few inches, maybe that would work.  It wouldn't look bad and the shelves on the doors could be wider that way and the new framing would be deeper and sturdier. And I don't think it would look bad either.

Maybe on one door put a rod or hook to put clothes on as you hang them up. You probably already have a place to keep the broom.

@Sooner : Thank you and totally agree. Yes- already have a special place for brooms and stuff.

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner : Thank you and totally agree. Yes- already have a special place for brooms and stuff.

@SouthernBee I would think just a few inches more in depth from the current framing would make a big difference.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also have a "laundry closet", and it's in the guest bathroom.  Hate it, but it is an upgrade from my previous house where the washer and dryer were in the basement.  At least now I don't have to tread up and down stairs carrying heavy laundry baskets, etc.

I've been longing for my dream laundry room, but it's still just a dream.  I think it is a very overlooked but important area in a home.  When we moved several years ago, I told the Realtor I was looking for my "dream" laundry room, and she looked at me like I was nuts.  All I meant was a nice size, stand-alone  room--not a "closet."  Had to compromise, couldn't find everything on our wish list, so ended up with a laundry closet.  I would have preferred a smaller living room and entry hall and use the square footage for a laundry room, but I guess I'm in the minority.

I notice that few of the remodeling shows ever consider this, they focus on "large bedroom retreats", "large spa bathrooms" and "large gourmet kitchens,"  and still make the laundry rooms quite small.  It must be that most people don't mind tiny laundry areas.