Valued Contributor

Re: Large China Cabinets- Yay or Passé?

@Mominohio   Thanks, that was nice of you.

Honored Contributor

No way for me---I can't imagine what a task it would be to move the thing----I have a small bulit in type hutch with bottom cabinets---when I move it stays!!!

Honored Contributor

YAY ... 

I don't have one and don't "do china."  I'd repurpose it to display my collection of old books.

My sister has our parents' orginal china closet - she uses it for her crystal collection.  

Esteemed Contributor

Large ones? definitely passe, as are small collectibles and heirloom china. Sad, but fact.

Keep 'em if you've got 'em and enjoy. I had them, too. The question is: are they passe and I stand by my response. Please don't shoot the messenger, LOL!

Honored Contributor

I fell in love with an Eathan Allen DR set many years ago and worked OT and saved til I could buy it.Back then I had an actual dining room. Now I have a dining area in the living room, but my set plus my antique Stickley buffet all fit in just fine. I can't imagine what I'd do with all my dishes if I didn't have a DR set to keep them in.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

I still love them, when properly displayed. 

The picture in the op is beautiful.

For me, they are not only about displaying treasured or beautiful dishware. 

I use the dishware I display, so it is easy access to the pieces, not buried in the basement in boxes or the back of a cabinet I have to stand on my head to access. And mine isn't fine china, but a rotation of pretty stoneware patterns that I use regularly. 

And the bottom drawers are perfect for kitchen or dining room linens, flatware sets (regardless of whether they are real silver or just stainless), and even dish towels etc. to free up kitchen drawer space. 

They don't have to be a stuffy albatross that just holds things you no longer use. They make great, functional, and beautiful pieces of furniture that can be used to store and display the dining things we use on a regular (even daily) basis.

ITA - I'm in and out of my china cabinet a lot - when we have company I use my crystal glasses and though I don't do big family meals anymore I still use pieces of my china to put out appetizers or snacks. My china cabinet has some nice deep drawers in the middle where I keep napkins and tablecloths.

Honored Contributor

Image result for off white tall glass cabinet

We have an open kitchen and dining room. This is on the wall between the 2 rooms. I have dishes and bakeware stored in there. My tablecloths and napkins are in the drawer.

I change it up for seasons...I like it and I use the pieces stored in there because I can see them and just open the door and quickly get them out.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono,

For our home, still,

https://kenadesign.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/yay.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

The one pictured is beautiful, especially with the variety of books and porcelain. That said, I no longer have a big home that would accomodate a china cabinet. I sold mine when I sold my large home years 14 years ago, along with several sets of china. I've been becoming a minimalist - or at least I'm trying to get to that point! I've seen too many china cabinets that are just loaded up with so much stuff - that's not for me.

Respected Contributor

I don't decorate worrying about what is in or out. Good taste/style never go out.... trends do.

The cabinet pictured is gorgeous.