Honored Contributor

Large China Cabinets- Yay or Passé?

Here is an example of one in a small sitting space.

Respected Contributor

Re: Large China Cabinets- Yay or Passé?

[ Edited ]

Yaay for me.   I love them.  And I love that one.  I have one in my dining room and a curio in my living room.  And a glass-front corner cupboard in my kitchen.   I actually need a few more lol.  I have a lot of antique china and glassware that belonged to my great grandmother  - I'd like to display more of it.  

Honored Contributor

I've got one...it creates ambiance next to the fire place both in my house and in this picture.  If you have the space, it can create a cozy/significant statement.  However,  if I had it to do over again, I would not have purchased given my minimalist state of mind.  

Honored Contributor

I think they are out, but when you have 3 sets of china and silver you need somewhere to put them

If I were to move into another house would sell it and do something else, but I need storage 

Respected Contributor

Always and forever a Yay to me!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Collecting and holding onto things just isn't what it used to be.  For that reason American homes are moving in a direction where it's not necessary to have large furniture units for storing and displaying "our" precious collections of stuff. 

I can't say I'm completely over having personal collections of things, but long ago I digitized and later started to cloud (is that a term?) books, photos, music, video collections.  I've downsized the stuffed toys and dolls, but I'm hanging onto a few which have a deep sentimental value. 

Honored Contributor

I think the one you posted is beautiful.  It looks like a beautiful room, too.  In general I think they're out though.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Have one. Used to love it and the contents. No longer entertain like in the past. Have been thinking of getting rid of it, but no one wants a cherry china cabinet! Can't give the darn thing away. Same with the sterling serving pieces, sets of china and crystal. Now what? Thinking Viet Nam Vets come get it all. Smiley Wink

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love the one pictured.

The contents are important too.  This cabinet is beautifully arranged with books and a blue/white theme of urns.  I don't like china closets with a bunch of  "collectible" (a real turn-off word for me) tchotchkes piled in them.

Valued Contributor

Love china cabinets! We actually have three in our home. One in the dining room, one in our large eat-in kitchen, and one in DH’s library/office that he uses for books.