Honored Contributor

Lanterns, Lanterns, Lanterns.

It was another lantern weekend for me!

First, I saw the mac daddy of all Luminara lanterns at a gift shop this weekend. It was about three feet tall, and I'd say well over a foot wide on each side. It had a series of three Luminara candles in graduated sizes inside, and the outside had some ornate scroll work to it. It was the biggest lantern I'd ever seen.

It was on the porch of the business, and looked like it might have been there awhile, so I'm thinking it might be discontinued (not sure about this though). The tag had the Bethlehem Lights and Luminara names on it, like back when they first came out. The oddest thing about it was that it had plastic instead of glass in it (which for outdoors might not have been bad because of the huge size). Kind of made me think is was a very early version of what they are now doing, and kind of 'experimental'. It was somewhere in the $400 range, which was just crazy for the quality, but the size really made a statement.

This same place had the Luminara black carriage house looking pole lantern as well. It is really pretty and heavy. I'd love that on my front porch!

Then, to end my pouting about not getting the TSV's in cream (or whatever color they named it), I picked up a couple of cream lanterns (two different sizes) at my favorite shop that carries bunches of them, got some primitive Luminara candles for inside, and a wreath for a ring to set the big one in. Really like the total look I was able to put together, and didn't have to settle for a plain smooth candle. Only suited for indoors or covered porch, because of the wax candle, but looks great!

Respected Contributor

Re: Lanterns, Lanterns, Lanterns.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio, was it the one I just posted a pic of?  I love that lantern and I am still trying to justify me getting this one.  I too, am pouting over not getting the Slate 19" Heritage lantern.  I am hoping it will come back in stock.  I will be stalking my wishlist until it does.  

Honored Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

@Mominohio, was it the one I just posted a pic of?  I love that lantern and I am still trying to justify me getting this one.  I too, am pouting over not getting the Slate 19" Heritage lantern.  I am hoping it will come back in stock.  I will be stalking my wishlist until it does.  

@BornToShop

IF it wasn't this one (the one I saw was black), it is very similar. It is hard to tell from a picture like this, but the one I saw was simply huge. At least three feet tall, and super wide.

But I think the style was the same, regardless of the size. I'd love a set of three of these in graduated sizes!

Respected Contributor

This lantern is 21" x 10"; the Luminara's are 5, 7 & 9" respectively & It comes in black.  I love the decorating possibilities which make lanterns so much fun.  If only I knew the Heritage Slates are coming back in stock.  

Honored Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

This lantern is 21" x 10"; the Luminara's are 5, 7 & 9" respectively & It comes in black.  I love the decorating possibilities which make lanterns so much fun.  If only I knew the Heritage Slates are coming back in stock.  

I looked online at google images and didn't see the lantern that I saw this weekend. It was truly huge (like I've said before, it was at least three feet tall), and I'm thinking it is old. Especially because of the way the tag was labeled on it, reminded me of those from the very beginning when Luminara and Bethlehem lights collaborated to make these lanterns.

I would guess that Q will get the slate lanterns back in. They were very popular, sold out so quickly, and I don't understand why the buyers don't get more of things that anyone of us here could tell them is going to be a big seller. If we can see it, how come their high paid buyers can't?

But it could take awhile, maybe even next spring. I hope for all who missed out, they are back before summer gets here, though!