Respected Contributor

I have just seen a commercial for this item.  Is it a room deodorizer?  I checked out the website, but it is vague.  I can't find a concrete description of what it is - they have "parfum" - but I thought it was a diffuser of sorts.

Can someone help me with this?

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

I recently tossed a small Lampe Berger oil lamp; the oil was scented.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Lampe Berger

[ Edited ]

love my Lampe Berger.  You buy bottles of the liquid scent to put in the lamps.  I've tried different brands of the scent, and they smell terrible.  You really need the authentic Lampe Berger scent.  You fill the bottle about 2/3 full, then light the wick and leave it burning for two to three minutes.  Then blow it out, and you'll have a wonderful fragrance in your room.  After 30-45 minutes you snuff out the wick, and your room smells wonderful for hours.  Don't leave it burning longer than that or you'll waste the liquid.  I like the green apple and pear scents the best, but they have lots of different ones.

When you first fill your lampe you need to let it sit for about an hour for the wick to get wet before lighting it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I have two that I bought about 10 years ago.  I loved them but suddenly they both stopped working.  I bought new wicks and that didn't help.  I still have them but can't use them.  Remembering how much I loved them, I may try to find out how to get them working again.

They and their oil aren't cheap but worth it IMO.  Wonderful and long lasting scent.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bridgegal wrote:

I have two that I bought about 10 years ago.  I loved them but suddenly they both stopped working.  I bought new wicks and that didn't help.  I still have them but can't use them.  Remembering how much I loved them, I may try to find out how to get them working again.

They and their oil aren't cheap but worth it IMO.  Wonderful and long lasting scent.

@Bridgegal    Did you buy authentic Lampe Berger wicks, and did you keep the wicks wet in the Lampe for about an hour before you tried to light them?  Those are the only suggestions I can think of.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Think about the oil room diffusers, but without the bamboo sticks, and with a pretty decorative top that holds a wick.  I have owned Lampe Bergers for years but bought two out of town that were very expensive and they did not work.  Local stores would not take them back and exchange for me.  It was too far to drive to return them.  I never bought from them again.  The containes are pretty but I prefer the diffusers as I am not paying for pretty bottle tops that quit working.  

Archipelago diffusers are about $40 and are supposed to last 2 years.  Mine have all lasted at least that long.  I have one in the DR that has lasted about 8 years. I know how long because it was given to me by a friend, as a hostess gift, Christmas of 2007, who died shortly thereafter, December 30.  

Contributor

You stated that you bought new wicks for your Lampe Berger's. Did you replace the wick stone also? Not sure if I am using the correct name for the stone part. From personal experience after years of use, the stone on one of mine stopped holding the Lampe Berger oil so it would light. The stone would not saturate anymore. Hope that helps your situation.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@inGeorgia wrote:

You stated that you bought new wicks for your Lampe Berger's. Did you replace the wick stone also? Not sure if I am using the correct name for the stone part. From personal experience after years of use, the stone on one of mine stopped holding the Lampe Berger oil so it would light. The stone would not saturate anymore. Hope that helps your situation.

@inGeorgia  The wick comes attached to the stone, so you can't replace one without the other.  I have a feeling they aren't buying authentic Lampe Berger wicks.  I've had my two for over ten years and burn them all the time.  They've never quit working for me.  If they don't light up for me, it means I've let the lampe oil burn down and I've just replaced the oil and the wick hasn't sat in it long enough to be ready to burn.  I hope this makes sense.  I wouldn't buy a wick from Ebay or somewhere that you're not positive that it isn't a knock-off.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Several years back, I purchased several of these lamps and many bottles of the scents. 

Unfortunately, they didn't work out for me for a variety of reasons.  They only burned properly now and then.  I changed the wicks and still had trouble.  The scents all ended up smelling the same to me and had a "smokey" back scent that I found intolerable.  My husband commented several times that it smelled like an elevator with stale perfume.

I think this is one of those things you either love or hate.   I went back to my reed diffusers and find the scents much easier to take.

You can always try a small lamp to see if you like it.  Sadly, mine are now just something I wasted money on.