Super Contributor

Has anyone put laminate or wood floors. How did it. Work.

Honored Contributor

Re: Laminate over wood floor

I have both!! Have had a laminate floor in my klitchen for over 20 years, still looks brand new. 

Honored Contributor

I had laminate in the kitchen in our previous home.  I loved it.  We have bamboo here in our condo and I wish I could replace it with laminate.

Respected Contributor

@crazered wrote:

Has anyone put laminate or wood floors. How did it. Work.

Are you asking if anyone has put a laminate floor on top of an existing wood floor? I have not done that, but I would think the wood floor would need to be level without warped boards. Perhaps some of the other posters have had experience with the process.

Super Contributor

That's what I am asking. Has anyone but laminate ove r a wood floor.?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just popping on to follow this thread. Before Covid I was doing some condo updates. Got the painting and some other construction done. But Covid happened before floors went in. I was still in the process of taking home hard wood samples.

I know very little to nothing about flooring. When I moved here I put in burber carpet back then! So...never put in flooring.

Only just (last week) started to consider laminate, on advice of my very "diy", stylish neighbor, who said she'd consider laminate now. And my contractor had mentioned "why don't you do laminate." I'm not even sure it's a money saver or not like it used to be, because they've gotten more popular and various choices. 

Anyway...haven't dragged myself to start the process all over again, but interested to hear what anyone says here.

Flooring, wood I know has skyrocketed price-wise, since Covid...I'm not going to spend 3 times more (or more!)...so considering options. Also not sure I want to put the kind of money into this anymore...because I may want to move in near future..and only expect to get so much of it back. I'm weighing things, because kitchen also needs updates, and some other things.

AND getting contracters these days, in our area where home buying and selling and construction is at an all time HIGH is impossible!! I've got sliders on order, coming in 3 weeks, I still haven't been able to get a quote on installation!! 

But I digressed....following.. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I´ve never seen that done. It´s easier to sand the wood floors and then put a varnish and a sealer on it. We did that with one of our ¨flip houses¨ and it looked like new. It was a 60 year old house. In the kitchen they had the old laminate so we replaced it with the new style laminate that snaps together.  Some laminate look similiar to wood.

Honored Contributor

My laminate floor was installed over 2 different existing vinyl, floors, but not wood. 

Esteemed Contributor

A house we are renovating now, we were thinking about putting real wood, but someone showed us vinyl and the new style laminate and we are stucked. We´ll choose something. Wood isn´t too expensive . We checked floor and decor and were very surprised.

Respected Contributor

@crazered 

You lost your value if you put laminate in.  Laminate and vinyl floors reduce the value of your property.

Hard wood floors no matter what condition are sought after and people are willing to pay a premium for them.

If you don't like how they look, put a large rug over them or a piece of carpeting and when you do sell, someone will come and rip the carpeting out and refinish them.

To answer your question, yes you can put laminate directly over hardwood floors, usually laminate has an underlayer or you'll have to add if you buy cheaper laminate.

Years ago I redid my 8x8 office and it cost me almost $400 for laminate so it's not cheap.    Vinyl planks are an alternative if you are set not to refinish the floors.