Respected Contributor

this is one of the most awkward and uncomfortable looking rooms that i have ever seen.  

Esteemed Contributor
Complete gut job
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lacquer in the Den...

[ Edited ]

This room has beautiful bones, but the paint (which is a favorite color of mine) hides them. That gorgeous blue needs to be placed in textured fabrics throughout the room and laquered tables along with the orange for the opposite color wheel interest.

Can't say I'm a fan of any of the decorating here. I'd simply begin with the same blue and oranges in different furniture, artwork, lighting, everything!

I want to see the fireplace and marble, paneling (?), and the molding of that room; it must be fabulous. Right now, it's too dark for my eye to appreciate the beauty under the dark lacquer paint. 

Thanks for sharing.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

Oh my goodness,  I don't like anything about this room.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The wall colors make the room feel closed in and is a tad depressing, just dont like that color....While I dont mind the chairs, wish they were also a different color...the overall style and decor is just too modern for my taste......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Not a fan of this room at all.

Honored Contributor

Assuming this room was 'done' by a decorating professional. I'm really not sure what they were thinking or where their head was at... As others have noted, the room is just so dark, right down to the dark window coverings, and yet they installed that bright white ceiling. There's just a disconnect going on here on several levels, at least for me. There appears to be a larger screen TV over the barely visible mantel, so maybe the room was done with a focus toward night-time TV viewing, who knows... Regardless, I don't dislike the room completely, but it would need quite a bit of tweaking to make it work for me...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Sorry nothing about this room works for me....I do love that shade of blue though...

Honored Contributor

I like the pretty much everything except the blue lacquer walls. 

That color depresses me, just too gloomy.  I don't like walls painted blue unless it's a happy Doris Day blue.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think the room revolves around the Rothko-esque artwork on the wall. The long toss pillow in the center is bringing in the cool colors of the artwork on the left, and the orange chairs and tulips are bringing in the warm orange at the edges of that same piece of art. The other 2 toss pillows bring in more of the neutral tones of the artwork on the right, and the silver ottoman reflects the chrome/silver frames on the art. The light fixtures appear to be supporting the color of the marble around the fireplace and add an eclectic feel. I like the blue walls very much. I'd ditch the orange chairs for kiwi colored ones, I'd replace the 3 toss pillows for rectangular ones in solid colors that mirror the artwork more , and I'd change out the light fixtures for ones that have more clear glass and modern feel.