Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@rockygems123    I wondered at the time if the ShopHQ LLadro was perhaps a "dumbed down" lesser quality.  I never ordered any of it, although it was pretty.  It just didn't fit with my Navajo rugs, Southwest art and Indian pottery.

@Kachina624   That seems to be a real possibility when collectibles and other quality items like Le Creuset are sold in bulk, the quality diminishes. 

And I can see how Lladro would be incongruous with your southwest decor.  We're the same in the sense of not wanting collectible things, give me jewelry any day ha.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I have six pieces. I think they are quite lovely.

Two my mother purchased for me in Italy years ago. The four were pieces I bought some time ago for sentimental reasons. I have no children so will leave them to friends whom I hope will enjoy them as much as I have. 

Honored Contributor

@Enufstuff 

The description of your doves and wedding cake sounds beautiful!  I have never seen the doves.

Honored Contributor

I have never been into figurines, but in recent years I have seriously been considering a Lladro nativity.  Not the whole big collection; just one piece featuring Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

I actually love the angel pictured in the OP.

Super Contributor

My Mom had about 9 pieces of Lladro, several reflecting important years/accomplishments in her life (nursing student, nurse, matrimony, children). After she died I have been tasked with getting rid of not only the Lladro but a truckload of other collectibles. I was able to sell the Lladro through an online consignment broker but it took awhile and they didn't bring more than about $200 each. But I was glad to be rid of them.

The boatload of Hummels is another challenge...

Respected Contributor

@ECBG   The cake with the doves was beautiful. I found a pastry chef who made the cake exactly as I designed it.

That was 30 years ago and Lladro still makes and sell the doves, but now they are $250. at Ross Simons  and on the Lladro website.

Honored Contributor

Back in the 80's and 90's my mom loved Lladro and we bought her some of the nice larger pieces for various holidays. I believe she has maybe 8 total. 

\

She loves them just as much today as she did back then. She displays them around her home and while expensive, I believe anything we 'collect' and use/display and enjoy for many decades is never a waste of money or a bad choice. 

I don't want them when she passes, and I know I won't get much for them most likely, but I don't care in the least. They were used, enjoyed, treasured and added to the atmosphere of an elegant and warm home. 

We have spent (wasted) way more money on things that met none of those criteria. 

I think the issue with collecting things is that a lot of people start with something they like or love, then don't know when to stop. They get more than they can use/display nicely. They end up changing their mind about the things and not loving them or using them for very long, after lots of money invested. Then they are disappointed when they can't even break even on them. 

I only buy what I love, and I try to know when enough is enough. I don't feel the need to buy everything in the line, only those things I really love.

Honored Contributor

I agree - if you like it, buy it but don't count on it becoming valuable.  Most things marketed as "collectible" don't become valuable because they were mass-marketed and collectors kept them in pristine condition, in their original packaging, waiting for the day they'd be rich.  It's better to speculate on dark horses.  

Honored Contributor

@Enufstuff wrote:

@ECBG   The cake with the doves was beautiful. I found a pastry chef who made the cake exactly as I designed it.

That was 30 years ago and Lladro still makes and sell the doves, but now they are $250. at Ross Simons  and on the Lladro website.

@Enufstuff 

Are these your doves?  Beautiful!!!Smiley Happy  That was such a wonderful idea!

Couple of Doves Figurine

Or was it "Love Nest"?

Amazon.com: LLADRÓ Love Nest Doves Figurine. Porcelain Doves Figure. : Home  & Kitchen

Respected Contributor

DD's best friend's mother collects Lladro...she must have almost every piece ever made from what DD tells me...now she is using the pieces as "gifts" to her daughter, who has no interest in taking them. She wants her to start selling them, but so far, the offers have not been what she was hoping. I have never been a true collector of any one thing in a big way. I love very old cream pitchers..no matter who the maker is...and have about fifty...I don't think anyone else would want them, but I love them. 
Very few collectibles retain their value now...could be because boomers who began buying so many expensive pieces years ago now have kids and grandkids who have no interest in them. They are very much into disposable things. For them, it is buy what you want, then toss it or donate it when you are tired of it or are into something new.