Honored Contributor

LITCHFIELD CONNECTICUT 1930'S COTTAGE

[ Edited ]

The art-loving owner of a wonderful home goods store in Connecticut, Bruce Glickman, has deservedly had his rambling Connecticut pre-war cottage widely featured.

1467864227-connecticut-cottage-120115-am.jpg

An antique bronze doggie at the door is usually a good sign.  But this house is a surprising and very knowing mix of antique, vintage and modern.  Gorgeous reeded table.

Screenshot 2022-06-24 at 22-47-36 Take a Tour of a Litchfield County Home Brimming with Personality - Cottages Gardens.png

While Benjamin Moore's creamy white paint, "Mascarpone", is used in the more public rooms, in the living room it is warmed up by the mellow wood hearth wall and tawny couch.

gallery-1467864529-connecticut-cottage.jpg

I love the video tour Glickman gave to Susanna Salk, of "Quintessence".  Did you spot one of his little dogs at her feet-- those dogs went everywhere on the tour, cutely photo-bombing every image.  That graphic pottery on the coffee table is interesting.  I think he has revolving vignettes of art and objects.

snapshot.jpg

Black and white art photography is another of his loves, and I like the contrast with the abstracts and the antique oils.

Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 9.34.53 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-06-26 at 08-37-34 Take a Tour of a Litchfield County Home Brimming with Personality - Cottages Gardens.png

Thick Carerra marble in the kitchen, modern but comfortable-looking counter stools, vintage pendant lights, and antique Windsor chair, all mix effortlessly.  I would like that giant mixing bowl...

gallery-1467864423-connecticut-cottage.jpg

snapshot.jpg

I like the clean, light-filled feeling of the dining room, with its elegantly spare Robsjohn-Gibbings chairs and midcentury plaster chandelier.   Lovely distressed ceiling.

Screenshot 2022-06-26 at 09-20-01 Take a Tour of a Litchfield County Home Brimming with Personality - Cottages Gardens.png

This guest room looks very comfortable, and the delicate tone-on-tone wall paper is not intrusive.  Here the mix of antique and midcentury continues.

gallery-1467864640-connecticut-cottage.jpg

Love the spacious, old-fashioned bathrooms.

gallery-1467865062-connecticut-cottage.jpg

Vintage portraits give even more character to the bath.

snapshot.jpg

They went dark and cozy in the office, but it obviously gets plenty of natural light from the cottage's generous windows.

Litchfield-THUMB.jpg

Bruce Glickman comes across in the video as such a passionate art lover.  His collection of vintage equestrian portraits is fun and quirky!

snapshot.jpg

Screenshot 2022-06-26 at 09-23-46 Take a Tour of a Litchfield County Home Brimming with Personality - Cottages Gardens.png

The master bedroom is restful to me.  Love the toile-like pillow shams, but am intrigued by the glimpse of the same modern art photography at the left, that he at one time had in the living room...  He must shift stuff around, like I do.  

Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 8.39.35 PM.png

45077-CTCottages-Litchfield-County-Patio-1024x666.jpg

DSC0873-CC1.jpg

Looking down toward the pool.

snapshot.jpg

The video tour that Susanna Salk does at Quintessence is just stunning.  I always love that she gets so giddy with unfeigned excitement, and Bruce Glickman is so gracious and modest, not at all full of himself as he explains this story book property that is obviously a huge labor of love.

Just google:

Quintessence Glickman tour youtube

if you want to see this outstanding tour.

Honored Contributor

Re: LITCHFIELD CONNECTICUT 1930'S COTTAGE

The grounds, lush foliage, landscape are stunning and look so peaceful.  I like the interior, the entry hall, the kitchen, bathroom, dining area and guest room, all so lovely and appealing.  I also admire the art work throughout .  I would make a few changes in the furnishings but all in all this is a beautiful home, comfortable and striking!

Respected Contributor

The pups are adorable.  

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Honored Contributor

Beautiful grounds with what looks like a pond.  I like some of the inside but not all of it but everyone has different taste.  The doggies are cute too.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I like some of it.  The view is very nice.  Don't care for the art work.

Honored Contributor

Looks like a lovely house with nice spaces and a great setting. Some wonderful elements here too, but overall, many of his decorative choices wouldn't be mine. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I like the creamy white wall color.  The living room is cozy but the chairs are too low for me, lol.  I need chairs that are easier to get out of.

Honored Contributor

Very beautiful inside and out!!!!! Love the spacious outdoor area just as much as the inside. Of course I would make changes with the decor as some of the choices aren't mine, but the home itself is beautiful!

Esteemed Contributor

It's a beautiful home that's beautifully decorated but is not my style so it wouldn't be for me.  I love the outside spaces and also the hardwoods throughout the interior.....especiallly the chevron patten in the entryway and the dining room.  I also love the distressed ceiling in the dining room.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

Like the house. Love the dogs.