Honored Contributor

LIMOGES FRENCH EGG TRINKET BOXES

Both @Tennesseegal and @mousiegirl got me all interested in Easter stuff with their fun posts on bunnies and eggs.

Then, I found that Amazon has signed Limoges porcelain egg trinket boxes for only around $15.  For Limoges?  They are in the shape of eggs, and of course they are small-- 3 1/2 inches by 2 1/2 inches by 2 1/2 inches high.  But what precious little treasures, that would make stellar gifts.

I'd like one to put next to one of my Royal Doulton "Fair Ladies", and a miniature English bone china Toby jug I have-- think they'd all look great together.

I guess we can't put direct links to other retailers, but if you go to Amazon and search "Limoges French Egg Trinket Box"  I think the one with violets pops up, and you can see all the others.  Here's one called "Field Bouquet", which is like an informal, meadow design:

61+W2UE8rOL._AC_SX450_.jpg 

My other favorites are one called "Celadon Rose" which is all green and white, and then one with a gilt eagle and sort of Imperial green-looking banding.  Really handsome!  They also have one called "Buds and Bugs" (!) and "Coral Rose" which is just like "Celadon Rose" but coral.  Plus other designs!

You could go crazy!  My mother loved Limoges, and I can see why...

Trusted Contributor

Re: LIMOGES FRENCH EGG TRINKET BOXES

Ooh!  I've got a thing for eggs anyway.  Very tempting.

I picked up an egg wreath at Walmart last year, after Easter, for a ridiculously low price.  I love that thing.   Almost time to get it out again!

Respected Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Both @Tennesseegal and @mousiegirl got me all interested in Easter stuff with their fun posts on bunnies and eggs.

Then, I found that Amazon has signed Limoges porcelain egg trinket boxes for only around $15.  For Limoges?  They are in the shape of eggs, and of course they are small-- 3 1/2 inches by 2 1/2 inches by 2 1/2 inches high.  But what precious little treasures, that would make stellar gifts.

I'd like one to put next to one of my Royal Doulton "Fair Ladies", and a miniature English bone china Toby jug I have-- think they'd all look great together.

I guess we can't put direct links to other retailers, but if you go to Amazon and search "Limoges French Egg Trinket Box"  I think the one with violets pops up, and you can see all the others.  Here's one called "Field Bouquet", which is like an informal, meadow design:

My other favorites are one called "Celadon Rose" which is all green and white, and then one with a gilt eagle and sort of Imperial green-looking banding.  Really handsome!  They also have one called "Buds and Bugs" (!) and "Coral Rose" which is just like "Celadon Rose" but coral.  Plus other designs!

Dear Oznell .. I can't say thank you enough ... I had one of these as a child ..

the one with the violets .. but of course the top got cracked and the glue

then .. over the years dried to an ugly brown line ..... I was thrilled to find

these ... thank you .. you made my day .....

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

I have a small collection of Limoges...I used to go to a store that had a display in a glass  case..they're addictive, and beautiful~They make beautiful gifts if you can stand to part with them...Heart I had no idea at the time how precious they were. Woman Happy My mother loved them as well...I think some of my little boxes belonged to her. Lovely memories!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

How beautiful! I love unique pieces like this. I've always been fascinated by the Faberge eggs created for Czar Nicholas of Russia (and before that, I'm sure). Thanks for sharing this @Oznell  - I'm going to take a look!

As a side note, I have three older Royal Doulton "ladies"....I love them and am wondering if they're part of the "Fair Ladies" you mention from time to time. I need to look into that!

Respected Contributor

These little trinket boxes are reasonably priced and so beautiful.  I like the "Violet" and the one called, "Versailles."  Thanks for writing about these, @Oznell 

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  I've always liked the eggs and have many Limoges ( and I paid more).
  Some are tiny, and some larger. I bring them out in the Springtime.

There is a discount shop nearby. Some items are new but mostly consignments. It's a wonderful shop and I visit at least weekly. I've purchased some eggs there among other items at great discounts. Things are reduced every several months. Sometimes  I'll play the game and wait. But not If  I really want the item.

Honored Contributor

My mother  also loved Limoges!  These eggs are just lovely and I will look for them on Amazon (even though I do not buy from Amazon), the price is incredible!

I have a set of china, a lamp and several individual pieces of Limoges that I inherited.  It is all beautiful and I try to put out the items but mostly they remain in a breakfront.  

Thanks for sharing this, even if I don't buy it is just nice to see beautiful collectibles!

Honored Contributor

These discussions we have about various collectibles are so rewarding-- I love hearing about other posters' various experiences with different items-- especially darling little pieces like these.

@Big Joanie, my pleasure!  Fantastic that you can access your "Violet" box once again.  So pleased.  I think the "Violet" choice is probably the most romantic-- so pretty!

@jannabelle1,  how neat that you have the Royal Doulton figurines too!  I think "Fair Ladies" is the company's catchall name for the traditional, beautifully gowned figurines, that tend to be 7 to 8 inches tall.  I've also heard "Pretty Ladies", but that might refer to the slightly miniaturized, newer ones-- not sure.

Mine were all designed by Peggy Davies, and hers all have a particular "look"--  just like the ones designed by Leslie Harradine also have their own, easily recognizable look.

Here's "Soiree",  one of the four that I have.

Do you happen to remember the names which appear on the bottom of the figurine of any of yours?  Mine are "Soiree",  "Leading Lady",  "Lorna" and "Winsome".

Respected Contributor

I've never seen these but I used to marvel at the Limoge display in Nordstrom and some other high end department stores.  The little nik naks were so petite and intriguing but very expensive.

I collected the annual Easter eggs by Lenox every year, for about 15+ years.  They were in the $35-40 range at that time.  They are also beautiful, but different than the Limoge.  I assume they still make them.  Haven't purchased in many years as I felt I had enough of them.  Wish I knew how to post a picture.

But they are also pretty for those of you who like to collect such things.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing