Respected Contributor

Re: LIMOGES FRENCH EGG TRINKET BOXES

I have 3 or 4 Limoges trinket boxes that I bought in the 1990's, when I was a home decor Buyer. One is the Eiffel Tower, one is a French pastry recipe book, etc. I'd get up to look at the rest, but I injured my arm this week & am up with pain. I love Limoges. I have them in a closed shelf, next to some fragile Dresden pieces, a large Royal Douton Santa jug cica 1980, a Ladro boy dressed in a bunny suit circa 1990, and antique art glass pieces I bought at auctions, etc. Someplace, I believe I have a couple Limoges serving pieces, too. My millennial child has no appreciation of these, but I think you would, @Oznell  . Thanks for the interesting thread.

Honored Contributor

Oh, I would, I would, @Desert Lily !   Your pieces are so select, and sound beautiful.  I so admire Dresden also.

Very sorry to hear about your arm, and pain.  Heal fast and well, my friend!

Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN,  I bet the Lenox eggs are beautiful, I will have to look them up.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I adore small trinket boxes, @Oznell  And you found some beauties at a fabulous price.

A local upscale shop used to carry an exquisite collection of Biltson and Battersea trinket boxes by Halcyon Days, much like these.  The clerks were so snobby and wouldn't let them be handled by "casual" shoppers. They were always out of my price range back then, however.  I'll have to do some research now.

They were enamel over copper, made to replicate an 18th century English craft.

ETA to add that I'm rather proud of myself for remembering their name.  I hadn't thought of these boxes since the late 90s!

Image result for tiny decorative porcelain boxes battersea

Image result for bilston and battersea

Image result for bilston and battersea

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Those are wonderful little boxes, @GingerPeach, thanks for posting -- a lot of the type of houses we both love often seem to have displayed rarefied little collections of beautifully crafted little boxes, either English or French!  I love both porcelain ones and enamel ones as well. I used to have a small collection of cloisonne boxes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love all sorts of little boxes, @Oznell 

I still have a couple on display that I had bought as a teen - one from Yosemite (made of redwood, of course) and another that I think is a Polish burnt wood design (also wood). (No ID marking on it.)

Little boxes really are special, aren't they?

I hope you get enough of those wonderful Limoges boxes to fill your heart. Heart

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Oh, yes, I've always been drawn to them!  Early on, like you, I also acquired some little wooden boxes which are still with me, scattered around and holding various things.  What is the appeal-- they're useful, they're small (therefore cute), they are pleasing to the eye?  All of the above, I think!

I have one or two more refined lacquered wood ones, but then a hardy subset of carved wood ones, some painted, with or without little scenes.  Most are Polish I think or otherwise Eastern European.  Boxes, boxes, boxes!  Thanks for making me think of all these.

Honored Contributor

Oh, I didn't add a postscript that I DID order the "Field Bouquet" Limoges trinket box.  Don't think it will be the start of a collection, but it will be perfect in a little grouping of my few other porcelain items -- can't wait.