Honored Contributor

LAUNDRY SOAP: HE OR REGULAR - ANY DIFFERENCE?

I was looking for laundry detergent  the other day, and all they had was the "He" version.    I don't have an HE washer .... but does it matter?   Any tips or suggestions?  

My washer is in great shape .... knock on wood .... so I'm obviously not going to replace it when it works just fine.  

Appreciate any feedback or suggestions that you have on this topic of monumental importance.   Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

Re: LAUNDRY SOAP: HE OR REGULAR - ANY DIFFERENCE?

[ Edited ]

The "he" label on detergent came out about the same time as front load washer and dryers hit the market. Most of it was pods but now it's all types. I use both liquid and pods in my frontload washer. The he means it is more concentrated for front loaders since the water hits it in the dispenser and sprays it onto the clothes. The pod dissolves quickly and the detergent disperses faster into the load. Regular detergent has a thinner consistency. I find using half as much he liquid detergent for my frontloader gets my clothes much cleaner.

Honored Contributor

Big Lots® for "regular" detergent

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I prefer to use HE detergents which do not create a lot of suds, and therefore do not leave soap residue in our clothing.  

Years ago when I used powdered Rinso detergent, using the suggested amount meant I could raise the lid during the wash cycle and see a lot of billowy suds when the agitator was swishing back and forth.  I prefer to not see that level of soap action in my washer.   

Honored Contributor

Regular washing machines use more water than HE washers.That means you need to use more detergent in a regular washer. Instructions are on the container for amounts to use.

Respected Contributor

Talking about detergent, here is what I love about my Whirlpool HE WASHER.  IT HAS A DETERGENT 'drawer'.  You fill it up and it automatically dispenses detergent as required so I almost never have to throw a pod in or add detergent.  Crazy how the little things make you happy.  This replaced my Kenmore Elite that served us well for 15 years.  LM

Trusted Contributor

Less suds. HE washers rely on the friction of the clothes rubbing together, not the water swirling, to clean the clothes. If regular detergent is added to an HE it would cause too many suds and would not clean as well because the detergent gets between the items and basically gets in the way. 

But yes, you can use HE for regular washers with great success.

Honored Contributor

@cjm61 wrote:

Less suds. HE washers rely on the friction of the clothes rubbing together, not the water swirling, to clean the clothes. If regular detergent is added to an HE it would cause too many suds and would not clean as well because the detergent gets between the items and basically gets in the way. 

But yes, you can use HE for regular washers with great success.

@cjm61 

Thank you !   Woman Happy