Honored Contributor

matthew-smyth-restored-the-ca-1790-house-uncovering-the-palladian-style-triple-window-that-had-been-boarded-up-by-a-previous-owner.jpg

This is the Greek Revival house of New York designer Matthew Patrick Smyth in Sharon, Connecticut.   Will call his style, let's see, "restrained traditional".  It's never too much, but it's soulful.  Oh, he does modern too-- will show that later.

Kitchen corner with Dutch door.

front-room_00014_retouched-1280x960.jpg

Hutch vignette:

front-room-shelf-detail_00018.jpg

Detail.  His arrangements are like little still lifes themselves.

hutchdetails2_00005.jpg

front-room-table_00010-1280x960.jpg

Corner of the cozy dining room, which also serves as the formal entry in this quirky house.

dining-room-fire_00012.jpg

smyth5.jpg

Here's the bare-windowed simplicity of the living room. I like the enlivening sparks of color in the modern art, the camel back sofa, and other accessories.  The symmetry of the foliage filled urns on plinths, the clean lined mirrors, the sleek chair mixed with antiques-- it's the kind of assured, new/old mix that evokes the past without being stuffy. 

living-room_00017_retouched-1280x960.jpg

Library:

smyth0.jpg

Library nook:

library_00018-2.jpg

Smyth found this ravishing original tiger maple banister hidden behind a wall!

the-original-staircase-handrail-was-discovered-behind-a-wall.jpg

And, this Palladian window was also walled off!  Boy the house must have been a wreck when he bought it.  Now the window opens onto a charming little landing sitting area at the top of the stairs:

landing3_00018_retouched-1280x952.jpg

More of the upstairs.  Look at that old iron door-latch!

guest-bedroom-2-detail-2_00016_retouched.jpg

Quaint bathroom:

hutchdetails2_00026.jpg

smyth23.jpg

Bedroom:

smyth21.jpg

smyth1.jpg

smyth29.jpg

I think his choices for his old Connecticut house are so appropriate.

For fun I thought I'd show just a tiny glimpse of one of his modern looks for an urban apartment too.  Different mood, sort of 'chic highrise':

Screenshot_2020-05-10 https www chairish com.png

Honored Contributor

i do like the space of this house .  I especially love the Hutch and the lovely displays on the shelves.  The sitting room looks so inviting and comfortable,I would spend time in there. The window stands out and does make a big difference in the room's appeal.  Of course the shelves of books always draw me in, love libraries in homes.

I am not a fan of some of the furnishings and would put in my taste and touches.  The bedroom seems drab and needs color and change.  As I said the rooms are spacious and it would be fun decorating them.

The outside is so pretty and tranquil, a nice place to take in nature.

Honored Contributor

Glad you noticed that, @spiderw -- you are so right about that bedroom -- it desperately needs color.  He seems to have stuck to a sort of traditionally "masculine" palette throughout the house, but it is too boring in the bedroom without any interesting contrasts...

Honored Contributor

This looks a lot like a vacation rental home we occasionally rent for the weekend in upstate New York. The style and colors are very similar.

The bedroom could be warmed up with a leafy green plant or 2.

Pretty property and house.

Honored Contributor

Lucky you, @DREAMON -- that must be such a relaxing escape...

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not normally a "traditional" kind of gal but I didn't mind this as, overall, there was a modern edge look to it.....at least downstairs, not so much upstairs.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

Thank you for sharing! 

I love the older homes.  My aunt & uncle had a larger older home to contain their 3 boys.  All of us spent every Sunday and holiday in that house.  My cousin Bobby and I loved to explore, so many hidden nooks and crannies.  

I'll take a home like this over the McMansions being built these days.  Guess that is why I love Cape May, NJ, so much.

Honored Contributor

I really enjoy old houses and I very much like this one... That said, I'm going to be picky here... There's something off-putting about the exterior... I don't know if it's the size and position of the beautiful Palladian window, given the overall scale of the house... the time of day this photo was taken, making the oval window at the top of the house look solid black... or most likely the very bland paint color chosen, which, to me, does not show this house at its best... Regardless, it's a lovely house and while it appears the front yard could use some tweaking, the back yard and pool area are just lovely...

As for the interiors... I love the Dutch door, the vestiges of 'old' like the neat door hardware and find the decor overall pleasing if not really all that exceptional... There are some wonderful elements, but there's also a good bit of bland... I do love what they've done with the landing... Personally, I don't want to see either too much modern art or too many modern accoutrement or color choices in a house like this one...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Ohmyohmyohmy...love the exterior (and much of the interior, such as the artfully displayed Quimper collection, the Palladian windows, the gorgeous wood bannister...but that animal skin rug has gotta go).

Respected Contributor

Re: LATE 18TH CENTURY HOUSE

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

Lots to like in this gorgeous house....the architectural details, arched window, tiger maple bannister, bathrooms, leather sling chair and on and on...thanks for this fine journey!  Would love to have seen how the kitchen was done...