Valued Contributor
My backsplash is a matte finish and the accent strip & tiles are a glossy shiny mother of pearl. I LOVE the contrast in both color & texture/finish, but do what makes you happy since you'll have to stare at it every day!
Valued Contributor
I'm no expert either, but I don't think you can just put a "finish" on matte tiles to make them glossy. It's a whole different composition of material between the 2. The surface also feels and looks totally different between my matte tiles & mother of pearl gloss tiles. They are made differently with different materials.
Honored Contributor

Re: Kitchen face lift

[ Edited ]

I think it's fine to mix glossy and matte.  My friend just redid her kitchen.  Her backsplash tile is a combination of matte and glossy.  There is a raised swirl pattern that is glossy and the other part of the tile is matte.  It's stunning.  

I always like to get samples and live with it a while to see how I feel about something I'm unsure of.  

Honored Contributor

Mixing the tile finishes wouldn't bothrer me, but my thinking is (and mind you there's no pic to reference) that I would probably do the whole backsplash in the patterned tile since the space is so small.

Respected Contributor

I have a fairly large open kitchen and I have a very similar mosaic backsplash in my kitchen - same color combo.  I would also consider doing the entire backsplash in the mosaic.

Honored Contributor

No problem at all for me in mixing finishes. If balanced and well executed.