Honored Contributor
On 6/16/2014 faeriemoon said:

I have never cared for red painted walls.

Me either...

Super Contributor

I had my service porch painted white with a red ceiling and it was great. It was very cheery and didn't make the ceiling seem any lower which I'd been afraid of, especially since it is very small.

It is now all white as is the kitchen. I have a red Keurig and red knives and dishtowels and like it. I would not want red walls in my kitchen as it is a very warm color and I have two windows, one with a southern exposure and the other with a western exposure and get the sun most of the day but the afternoon sun is the brightest and it would just be way too hot even with air conditioning especially if I were using the oven or had anything on the stovetop.

Respected Contributor

I would tire very quickly of any dark solid color walls, anywhere.

My kitchen is always neutral so I can add color with curtains, appliances, placemats at the island counter, dinnerware, plants and flowers, etc.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, when I bought my house a little over a year ago, I painted my kitchen walls a very deep red. I have very dark cabinets with a reddish undertone and light countertops - it looks beautiful together. I also have shades of browns, reds, cinnamon and olive greens mixed in that pull it all together.

Honored Contributor

I love red but I would agree with Col. Meow that it is best suited as more of an accent color.

My walls are a white-ish (soft, not a stark white) color and my appliances are black. Black and red are my fav colors, so I have some red here and red there. I have black covers made for all my small appliances.

Then I have red dishes and a lot of stuff like that, that is red and black.

As much as I think red would be stunning on a wall, providing it is the right shade of red (I'm picky - I like a good blue-red, no orangey or tomato type red), I think it would be terribly limiting. Then, when you go to re-paint, it's going to be a lot more work to cover that.

Super Contributor
On 6/17/2014 NYCGRL said:

Yes, when I bought my house a little over a year ago, I painted my kitchen walls a very deep red. I have very dark cabinets with a reddish undertone and light countertops - it looks beautiful together. I also have shades of browns, reds, cinnamon and olive greens mixed in that pull it all together.

It sounds gorgeous!
Super Contributor
On 6/17/2014 chickenbutt said:

I love red but I would agree with Col. Meow that it is best suited as more of an accent color.

My walls are a white-ish (soft, not a stark white) color and my appliances are black. Black and red are my fav colors, so I have some red here and red there. I have black covers made for all my small appliances.

Then I have red dishes and a lot of stuff like that, that is red and black.

As much as I think red would be stunning on a wall, providing it is the right shade of red (I'm picky - I like a good blue-red, no orangey or tomato type red), I think it would be terribly limiting. Then, when you go to re-paint, it's going to be a lot more work to cover that.

No it's not. Sherwin Williams has a primer that would cover black in one coat.
Honored Contributor

In our first apartment I had red and white check wallpaper and red cabinets. I loved it.

Since then I've seen many red (solid) kitchens. There are so many colors you can use to accessorize.

Trusted Contributor
On 6/17/2014 ~moxie~ said:
On 6/17/2014 NYCGRL said:

It sounds gorgeous!

Thanks - I like it. I'm not tired of it because it leads to a nice open den with all neutral colored walls and area rugs that have all the reds, browns, tans and greens in it and it just brings it all together with a nice warmth. I love it - it's my cozy spot. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

Red makes me hyper. I don't even wear red clothes anymore.