Honored Contributor

Re: Kitchen cabinets with different colors.....

[ Edited ]

I don't like mis-matched anything in the kitchen.  I don't like different color cabinets on the top and bottom, I don't like different color cabinets on an island and I don't like a different countertop on an island. 

I think it's a trend that people will tire of fairly quickly and it's not a cheap fix.

In the first gray and white photo, I like the white cabinets with the backsplash and I like the bottom gray cabinets with that backspash but I don't like the white and gray cabinets together with the backsplash.  But IMO those countertops don't match the cabinets or the backsplash at all.

Honored Contributor

I love the 1st one! It is gorgeous! The last one isn't too bad either. For the most part, I don't care for the look, but I have seen some that are very nice......

Respected Contributor

Different color cabinets and islands have been done for several years now. I have friends who have done this and it looks great.

It woudn't work for me as I like a consistent look.

Respected Contributor

Generally, I do not like that look.

The picture with the white and gray is pretty because the two colors are close enough in tone with one another.  

One thing I do not like is having two different countertops. If you have two different color cabinets, the countertops have to match.

Honored Contributor

I love the idea of lighter upper cabinets. I would do that in my dark, old,nasty kitchen in a heartbeat. But would do something more jazzy with the tile work. I need pops of color and not boring old neutrals.

Honored Contributor

I like it in colors (example-white and gray) but not in 2 shades of wood. My neighbor next door just had her older cabinets painted in sage and gray and it looks beautiful.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I like it in colors (example-white and gray) but not in 2 shades of wood. My neighbor next door just had her older cabinets painted in sage and gray and it looks beautiful.

@DREAMON

Sage and gray! Boy I'd love to see that. Not anything I would have even thought to do, but sounds beautiful.

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

For the most part, I don't care for it. 

That first kitchen with the grey and white though, I'm kind of liking the look!

I like the look, but it depends on the two colors.  The first kitchen looks alot like our kitchen up north.  We painted the uppers with a lighter gray than the lowers.  I like it.  They were stained and it really changed the look.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

@DREAMON

Sage and gray! Boy I'd love to see that. Not anything I would have even thought to do, but sounds beautiful.

Yes...she is a lot more adventurous with color than I am. 

She also has all new matte stainless appliances. The appliances compliment the lighter shade of gray in the cabinets nicely. The sage is not too dark. The floor is a weathered grayish wood(with a touch of black and white running through it) and the dining set and hutch are weathered whitewash.

It is  well done. 

The only problem is that now she wants the rest of her house redone to flow with the kitchen.

Respected Contributor

wrote:

I think they can be gorgeous:

Have you considered using blue for your kitchen cabinetry

Your kitchen is, by far, the most expensive space in your home to renovate. Having a hard time living with those dated honey oak cabin...

I love this.   Beautiful.   Maybe in my next house?