Esteemed Contributor

Re: Kitchen cabinets with different colors.....

Our perimeter cabinets are white and the island is a deep expresso. I think the dark island warms the space up.

Regular Contributor

I'm not a fan of this trend.  Growing up we had cabinets that did not match, but, was because when the bottom had water damage there was not enough money to replace everything.  It always feels half done to me.  

Honored Contributor

I did something very different this past month.  The kitchen cabinets put in were a cream color (think it was called Irish Cream), I painted the walls the exact same color (Sherwin Williams--white linen), I mean it's an exact match. 

And instead of painting the window trim white, I went with the soft white linen color. 

So far, the whole kitchen as it is now---all one soft creamy dreamy cream color.

The counter top is yet to be gotten, but it's going to be a cream base with a little bit of browns and hopefully some silver mica colorations to bring it all together with the stainless appliances.

I flipping love it.  It's a small kitchen and it would be too enclosed with dark cabinets and/or contrasting wall color.  Just couldn't do white.  I have it at another house.

The floor is a natural ash color---very light, also.

Esteemed Contributor

Not a fan of the look.However,I do like the first picture.I agree with the poster that that the counter should have been done in grey or white.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio  All wood in my kitchen is lighter than the island drawers which are dark wood.

Respected Contributor

Not quite sure about the cabinet color differences between upper and lower. I think it depends on the kitchen - the light, the space, etc. I do like when an island is painted a different color from the wall cabinets - really makes the island a stand out piece.

(I do LOVE that slate floor in the 3rd photo. If I was ever to replace my tile floor (and, that is a big if, and only if ever necessary!) it sooo would be slate. Warm, rustic, inviting - great variations in each tile. It just makes an interesting floor I think, with character and texture.)

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

The kitchen in our new house has all expresso brown cabinets but the island is ivory.

Honored Contributor

I like when the tops are painted white and the lowers are a navy blue.

I don't like the white uppers with the wood lowers.

Respected Contributor

Personally, I think it is OK, but too trendy for a kitchen.  I am not the type to re-do the kitchen every few years, as trends change.  (Does anyone in real life do that?)

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

In the right application, I like them.