Honored Contributor

Re: Kitchen Islands; what's your preference?

Just work space and must seat 4 people.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I have seating, sink and dishwasher in my island. Love it!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I prefer seating with an island and a sink is fine, but I would prefer not to have one. I have seating at tmy Island now, and a sink, and while its ok, I am used to it, I think I would prefer the Island without a sink, unless it was a very small second sink!

Super Contributor

None of the above. I don't care for kitchen islands at all. I have a large antique butcher's block on brass ball casters that I roll around for extra prep space, and I can roll it out of the way entirely if I wish.

Honored Contributor

I prefer a plain top.  I don't like the idea of a family staring at a wall eating a meal. 

A bar isn't the ideal to teach table manners to children either.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I prefer a plain top.  I don't like the idea of a family staring at a wall eating a meal. 

Islands don't have to look at a wall.  My island faces out to the backyard.  Manners can be taught anywhere.  

Trusted Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

Islands don't have to look at a wall.  My island faces out to the backyard.  Manners can be taught anywhere.  

I agree, and have no idea what the previous poster is alluding to.

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Honored Contributor

@paixmcdao wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

I agree, and have no idea what the previous poster is alluding to.

I really have no idea.  I can't figure that out.

Honored Contributor

I think islands are pretty and it doesn't matter what appliances or lack of appliances are in or on the island.

What I like is when island seating is comfortable.

We've been to friends homes before where you're almost always expected to *gather* at the island.  Not enough seating for everyone and sometimes the seats are really uncomfortable.  Either the backs are rather rigid or the seat itself is hard.

I don't have an island at my current home, our kitchen is tiny.  So not gathering there.  But at our dining table, every chair is nicely padded and has arms.  Not just the two chairs at the heads of the table.  It was an expensive way to to, but worth it.  

When we gather at our table, everyone is comfortable.  

Regular Contributor

Our kitchen is large so the island is large.  In addition to seat and storage, there is a prep sink.  I have to admit I would not have chosen one if I'd been designing it but it is really very useful.

We do not stare at a wall and the setup has no resemblance to a bar.