Honored Contributor

Did they convert a vanity into a kitchen counter? It's different, but also interesting.

Respected Contributor

I love ideas that march to a different beat --even in a kitchen .  I spend a lot of time on Pinterest looking for them. I think this could work in a kitchen if one was so inclined. 

Honored Contributor

I think they need to remodel EVERYTHING else to make it work.  And it CAN work; it just doesn't here with things as they are.

Respected Contributor

@software  Is this your kitchen?

Honored Contributor

@software  Those are very pretty cabinets and a lovely color. What I see as the disconnect is that the cabinets over the stove should be longer and that one very long narrow cabinet just doesn't work as it should be the same length as the other cabinets over the stove. Clearly, those over the fridge have to be shorter to accommodate the appliance, but those over the stove stop too soon, showing too much wall. They don't all need to be uniform but there does need to be some sort of symmetry.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Re: Kitchen Cabinet Remodel

[ Edited ]

I think you are right the cabinets truly don't go with the ones that look like were the existing cabinets. There is molding at the very top of the new cabinets that could be carried across to the older cabinets. Just doing that one thing might help tie the cabinets together.

If you don't think that works then you could take the next step with doors replaced. But you may get the look you want without having to spend that much more money for new doors.

just look at your picture, at that molding that goes across the top of the new cabinets, could that be duplicated across the top of the

old cabinets?

Also is there any task lighting under the hanging cabinets? There are plenty of lights that can be installed by yourself.

Honored Contributor

I think I would keep it the way it is and have the green dry brushed with a darker color.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I think I would keep it the way it is and have the green dry brushed with a darker color.

Save your money and dont get caught up in the re-model game nonsense that is pushed on American consumers. As long as it is functional and everuthing works dont waste money on needless renovations. 

Honored Contributor

It's all wrong. Imho.

For one thing, that type of cabinet would go on another wall in this kitchen-- not placed close to the stove. 

Glass will get mucked up quickly.  It's beveled (?), those are looong glass panels.  Using a stool to clean constantly.

Honestly, that Bombay shape goes in a higher end kitchen, with *like* cabinetry, not tied into existing cabinets.  And closer to dishwasher/sink, if storing everyday dishware.

I'm not wild about the color and maybe they were painted to the homeowner's liking, would look prettier in natural stained wood.

The wall color is too plain, the cutting board countertop is too casual and the appliances could be updated to add to the oomph of the one cabinet.  (And then there's the lighting.)  Can't tell if they have vinyl flooring or tiles, but a change in wall color could bring out the floor, too.

I wouldn't consider open shelving between stove and fridge, it's about 8-10" wide.  Not sure what that end piece is in white next to fridge attached to skinny lower cabinet.

They need to re-think this re-do.  Wait till they can afford all the matching cabinets and countertops, buy new appliances and find a soothing wall color to match the elegance of the wall china cabinet.  

Honored Contributor

I am okay with using wall cabinetry as a china cabinet.   I am not okay with the look in this picture.   

To me, the wall and base buffet cabinetry are too fancy for the rest of the kitchen.   I do not think replacing the other cabinets with open shelving is going to have a positive effect on the overall look.