Honored Contributor

Re: Killing airborne germs in your home

@SilleeMee I checked out the oil and I want to purchase...where food you order yours?

Honored Contributor

@ANewHueI have three  hepa air cleaners in different rooms  in my home.  They have a silver filter over the hepa filter.  Silver killers bacteria and such.   You might look into these. The brand of air cleaner I use is by Rabbit Air. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex wrote:

@SilleeMee I checked out the oil and I want to purchase...where food you order yours?

@dex,

I buy my thieves oil from pipingrock dot com. I usually get the 2-ounce bottle when it goes on sale and stock up when it does because this oil is expensive. 

If you go to the pipingrock site, you will see two varieties of the oil but they are essentially the same thing, just different names and one is smaller size than the other. Here's what to look for in case you need to see what I'm talking about:

4-thrive-essential-oil-9412.jpg

4-thrive-essential-oil-9410.jpg

The one on the top is 2 ounces for $25 and the one on the bottom is 1/2 ounce for $9. Of course, shop around but I bet you will be a bit shocked at the prices. Pipingrock has some of the best EOs at descent prices. When the 2-ounce bottle goes on sale it's like half price!

Honored Contributor

Back in the 70s when I was a candy striper at the local hospital, I had to wipe down the visitor desk and phone every 30 minutes with 90% rubbing alcohol.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden  Thanks I'll hear to look into that. @SilleeMee  I have heard of this whole but wasn't sure what it was thanks for the info.

Trusted Contributor

I am always alone so I don't worry except when I go to stores but I burn my lamp berger when I want to sanitize my home with airborn things.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not freaky about airborne "germs" at home.  If I was, I'd purchased a high-end air purifier.  My Father was a germ freak and it ruined his life with that fear to the extent that he would not leave the house.  So sad.

Prior to having retired a few years ago, worked in a hospital many years during my career.  Talk about bacteria and viruses!  In my Division, we cleaned, cleaned and cleaned.  If I was walking down the hall headed for wherever and a patient with a productive cough was headed for me, I'd do a 180 and find a different way to get to my destination.  People thought I was nuts.  However, I was almost never ill.

Edited to add:

1.  Though bacteria are becoming increasingly sophisticated, most of us have reasonable personal hygiene habits which prevent us from picking up something really bad at home.  Now, if you happed to have a friend with active TB in your home, you'd want to get professional cleaners in with gear, because the TB bacterium has a waxy coat and can exist on surfaces for some time.  On the flip side of that coin, most bacteria have a simple cell wall which is easily permeable through use of any number of prepared wipes in the cannister which you can purchase at the market.  Best things to remember to prevent infection is to keep your fingers away from your eyes, nose and mouth.  And, if the food smells "off" or icky, don't eat it, toss it.

2.  Viruses:  Scary little buggers.  Not at all like bacteria.  A virus is a piece of DNA, RNA or rRNA.  It is not a cell, nor does it look like a cell.  Most scientists still claim they are not a living entity as they are not independently capable of procreation.  In order to duplicate, they must work their way into your body cells. (Disgusting!) This is one reason why it's been so difficult to cure the common cold: kill the virus and you kill the cell.  The same goes for the difficulty in riding the body of simple to lethal fungal infections.  A fungal cell is the same type of cell as a human body cell, so the drugs must be designed to kill the fungus - NOT the human body cell.  This is not as easy as it may seem.  Therefore, when fungal meningitis is diagnosed, the prognosis is usually not a good one.

Respected Contributor

If you have a furnace you may want to add a UV light and HEPPA filters

Honored Contributor

Last month when all 4 of us had an upper respiratory virus, I put the heat pump on a/c, for 30 minutes, to pull the inside air to the outside, then switched back to heat, cleaned every surface, sprayed with Lysol, and let it go.