Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

No.   They belong on doors that are actually KICKED open......like restaurant kitchen doors

Yes, @Desertdi , i hear ya.  I asked my painter what he thought (he said NO) and I remember commenting "who kicks their door open, anyway?".

I think I veered into this lane purely for decoration/novelty.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

When we built our home, I ordered a door with brass hardware, including a kick plate.  It was beautiful, at first.

The brass began to oxidize and then it started to corrode and looked ugly.  We removed it, but the corrosion ruined the door behind it.  We ended up replacing the door.

Our door was out in the open and no screen door.  I am not sure if that made any difference.  I love the look, but never again.

Honored Contributor

For a traditional looking home, yes, I think a gold tone kick plate adds a touch of elegance. I'm less fond of them in brushed silver tone options, as they just look a bit too commercial or industrial and would have no use for plastic, cutesy decorative or colors of kick plates. Personally, I'd also nix the house numbers. Just a plain kick plate would work best for me.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I had a kick plate put on my front door several years ago and I do like mine. I wouldn't put a house number on mine cause I think that's to low to the ground to be visible.