Respected Contributor

Keeping hardwood floors clean

I will be moving to a condo soon that has all oak hardwood floors.  In the past I have had wood laminate in just one room, with carpet in the rest of the home.  To clean the hardwood I would just vacuum without the beater and occasionally use a liquid cleaner like Bona with a fabric mop.  I had a steamer for a while but it didn't last long before it conked out on me, but I liked the idea of a good steam clean once in a while. 

In my new place, since I will not have any carpet at all, I'm rethinking how I will maintain the floors.  Should I invest in another steamer and if so, what is a good brand/model?  Or, is there a good appliance that will vacuum up dust and miscellaneous particles and also have a wet cleaning and/or steam component combination?  I don't have pets or kids. 

Frequent Contributor

Re: Keeping hardwood floors clean

@Suzeecat I have hardwood floors in my entry and kitchen.  I would get rid of them if they weren't in trend.  They are very hard to keep up with.  I sweep with a broom at least weekly, vaccum as well.  The best thing I have found is Murphy's Oil Soap and water.  I tried using Sharp mp this past weekend with the solution mixed in.  It worked ok except my four legged helper has left prints all over it.  I think I will go back to the Murphy's Squirt and Mop and a mop.  Please share if you find any good tips, I could sure use them.

Honored Contributor

@Suzeecat  I'm in the same situation.  Had laminate in our previous kitchen where I used a steamer to clean the floor. Can't remember the brand but after 4 years it was still going strong and really liked how it cleaned.

Now in a condo that has bamboo floors everywhere except the bedrooms and bathrooms.  I've been vacuuming and then using a Swiffer pad to clean the wood floors.  Not sure if a steamer is a good idea to use on bamboo.  

Will be interested to read other opinions.

Respected Contributor

@Suzeecat For my wood floors, I use a Bissell Power Fresh Steamer which I love.  It has 3 settings for the steam and 2 cloth pads that are washable.  Floors look fabulous with using plain water.  I have a Roomba that I am in love with!  I bought it for $ 300.00.  It is a pleasure especially with wood floors.  It comes with it's own docking station so it finds it's way home when finished.  I usually run it at night when I am sleeping, I chose to do each room separately since my home is 1800 sq. feet.  I have a Dyson vacuum as well that I use every other week.

Between the steamer and the Roomba makes maintaining my wood floors a breeze!

Honored Contributor

@Somertime  Bissell, that was the steamer I had and it was great.  Have to check to see if I can use it on bamboo.

DH wants to get a Roomba but I'm not sure.  It's expensive and how much dirt does it hold?  Will get more info.

Respected Contributor

The less water you use on your hardwood floors, the better.  I have red oak  and it still looks great after 20 years in this house.   I use Don Aslett's microfiber mop/duster along with Bona.  I would be afraid the steamer would be too harsh for my floors.

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50   I see no reason why you could not use it on a Bamboo floor.  Look at Amazon, Target and Roomba website.  They do go on sale.  Amazon has a Roomba 675 for $248.00 and a Roomba 690 for $279.00.  I do one room at a time and I have a dog, it runs about 90 minutes and the reservoir is not huge but large enough to hold any dirt and dog hair.  I woudn't hesitate.  I was sorry I didn't purchase one when I was working, would have made my life so much easier!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Hoovermom  We have all hardwood floors, Australlian Cypress throughout our home and I use my little shark navigator everyday to do a quick clean up it works great on hardwood floors  I only wash my floors maybe twice a year but do spot clean ups when necessary. I like the microfiber mops they work really well. My floors are always shiny and beautiful.  I too think the less water the longer the floors will last.

Honored Contributor

I've had pre-finished hardwood floors for many years now.  In my kitchen, dining room, foyer and powder room. Upstairs, I have them in my maste bedroom and the hall.  I've never used a steamer on them.  I either dry mop them, vacuum them, or use one of those hover mops with the pads dampened.  I always was afraid to steam my hardwoods.  If I really feel the need, the most I would use on mine woul be Bona.  After all these years, they still look brand new.  (I do not, however, have any pets.)

Valued Contributor

When we had our wood floors refinished, we were told to avoid water and use Bona as a cleaner. 

I sweep them with a rubber broom and use a swiffer.