Honored Contributor

Re: Keeping Up with Home Trends?

Remember 'Home Interiors' parties? Many of us had that free hostess print of a chair sitting on the porch. At least I've rid my home of those items. I bought a lot from those parties in the 1980's.

Respected Contributor

I see a theme here of 'make your home YOUR HOME.' I quite agree with this . 

I change items if I am bored with one , it wears out, or I find something that works better for our lifestyle and space. I do like to change colors occasionally and may be more apt to go with trends . Trends are easier to find in stores . 

If I like something I keep it and figure if guests don't they can ignore it.

Just try to have a long life and everything old is new again anyway. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Remember 'Home Interiors' parties? Many of us had that free hostess print of a chair sitting on the porch. At least I've rid my home of those items. I bought a lot from those parties in the 1980's.

@AuntG 

I definitely went to my share of those parties. 

Respected Contributor

I think if you choose classic,taylored window treatments and furnishings you will always be in style. 

Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

To me furniture is just way too expensive to update to keep up with current trends.....thats why classic styles are best...and you can always update a room with new drapes, area rugs, and decor accents and art work.....And I also go with what I like and what makes me happy and I dont really care about trends...........

And all this technology added to appliances just adds to repair bills if they break down. And this technology doesnt necessarily have to do with the main performance or purpose of the actual applicance..

@Spurt  So true... The only way I'd go for the latest and supposedly greatest appliances would be had I unlimited funds to repair and replace them... I'm beginning to be in the market or a new fridge and I want NONE of the bells and whistles... No 'thru the door' water, ice cubes, whatever... It's all unnecessary and I don't even find it desirable... Besides, it's all just something else to make the already overpriced repair man even more overpriced... 

@stevieb  Best of luck finding anything that is basic today. I think that is why the Speed Queen brand is so popular, only three buttons. The more options on an appliance the more to go wrong.

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

I think if you choose classic,taylored window treatments and furnishings you will always be in style. 

This is the epitome of the word "dated"!!!!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like to personally keep up with tremds by looking at Pinterest, watching You Tube videos and HGTV (although I don't watch HGTV that much).

This doesn't mean that I update my home to keep up with the trends.  I don't.  I buy high quality furniture and keep it for yours.  I don't think it looks dated.  The last piece of furniture that I bought was my living room couch about four years ago.  Right now I'm having an Ethan Allen chair recovered.  I bought it for my first apartment when I was on my own.  I'm sure they still sell that style today.

I do update my accessories sometimes, but I still have accessories that I bought over 20 years ago.  I have some that were inherited.  I recently updated my mantel.  That turned out to be quite a project!  I think my style is mostly traditional and transitional mixed.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Valued Contributor

@Regal Bee wrote:

Home trends do not influence me one way or the other. I decorate with things that please me. Period.

Yes, home trends do influence you. They influence all of us whether we like it or not. 

You can only buy what’s offered for sale in stores.

Products in stores have been curated according to current home trends.

Same with clothes. You’re only choosing from the buyer’s current trend selections.

The only way to avoid this is to buy vintage/antiques.

And even there, second hand and antique stores are not going clog up their stockrooms with deeply unfashionable things that won’t sell. They want to sell what is popular right now - current trends.

We all think we are so unique and only buying ‘what we like’ but it’s just an illusion of free choice. 

Trusted Contributor

I've found that about every 5 to 10  years, we do some changes that involve updating. Usually just painting, carpet and now hardwood floors. Also whatever looks outdated to me,  will have to go.  I'm not much into trends, I just go with what I like and will look nice for another 5 to 10  years!