Honored Contributor

Keep an eye on your Himilayan salt lamps

[ Edited ]

We have one of these in our house and our cottage, they are great night lights.  As we closed the cottage for the winter, I noticed liquid and salt leaking from the lamp onto the table.  It seemed logical, as the humidity on Lake Superior was running 60-65%.  Just today I happened to look at the lamp in our house where the humidity is now 40%.  More leaking, after this lamp has been sitting here for a year with no problem.  So I'll use plates under them.  I'll keep checking, because these are electric lights after all.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Keep an eye on your Himilayan salt lamps

@depglass 

thanks for the heads-up!

We don't own one, but have been considering and probably would not think to check.❣️

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

@depglass  I hadn't considered high humidity coming in off big water!!

I have them and they are sensitive to moisture and humidity. Best to keep them away from kitchens and bathrooms. Mine are in the bedroom and living room. I have one that is non-electric and holds votives.

I got them at Woodland Creek outside of TC. She has a beautiful store there and in Mackinaw City.

Respected Contributor

@depglass ~

Thank you for the heads up.  I do have some Salt lamps, which I use for night lights, too.  I did put them on a small plate as they are set on wood, and didn't want any salt damage.  

I have not seen any leaking, but just recently got them, and the house humidity has been low.  Will sure keep an eye on them come spring and the higher humidity. Smiley Happy

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Respected Contributor

@depglass ~

I meant to say what a "blessed" Woman you are.  A Cabin on Lake Superior.  My "Ole' Home Country ~ Minnesota."  How I LOVE the North Shore.  Two Harbors...Gooseberry Falls...Split Rock...Lutsen...HeartHeartHeart

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

Yes, we are blessed.  It has always been my dream to have a place on one of the Great Lakes. The cottage is modest and only three season, but the view is spectacular.  My favorite thing is to sit in a zero gravity chair reading and looking out over the water.  We can see Henry Ford's summer house and water tower from our place. 

Honored Contributor

Be careful using salt lamps if you have pets, licking them can have dire circumstances to pets.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the heads-up.