Honored Contributor

Just to many bad reviews and not getting a good feel for top load HE washers

this is really an about face for me.

I just am not getting a good feeling for myself on this purchase for an HE top loader.

I went out this morn and checked at store in my town just what new washers were out there.

I really fell in love with an LG front loader with the mini wash pedastal.  

I really am feeling it for this way of washing.

I know about all the smelly problems with door gaskets. I did have front loader back in the early 90's it was a GE. when they first came out, they did wash well.

Anyone had a front load LG 3700???? If you can let me know how you like it.   

Am also going to get the mini pedestal wash basket with it.

Respected Contributor

Re: Just to many bad reviews and not getting a good feel for top load HE washers

Had a front loader & after a few months couldn't wait to get that awful useless thing out the front door...never again. Good Luck with your search & purchase.

Honored Contributor

Re: Just to many bad reviews and not getting a good feel for top load HE washers

Did not like a front loader at all.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Super Contributor

I have a front load LG and have no problems with it. I guess because I always cleaned it every month. I been using it for over ten years with no major problems, and yes we wash regularly because of teenage children. I think it is up to you in the end to purchase what is best for you.

Trusted Contributor

I've had a front loader for years. After I wash a load I leave the door open over night to dry out and I've never had a problem with oder. Besides it uses less water.

Honored Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

this is really an about face for me.

I just am not getting a good feeling for myself on this purchase for an HE top loader.

I went out this morn and checked at store in my town just what new washers were out there.

I really fell in love with an LG front loader with the mini wash pedastal.  

I really am feeling it for this way of washing.

I know about all the smelly problems with door gaskets. I did have front loader back in the early 90's it was a GE. when they first came out, they did wash well.

Anyone had a front load LG 3700???? If you can let me know how you like it.   

Am also going to get the mini pedestal wash basket with it.

@viva923

I don't have the new mini pedestal washer you are posting about but I do have an LG front loader and I have had it for about 11 years. Knock on wood --- I have had absolutely no issues with it whatsoever. Yes, it is true- you do need to dry out the rubber thing (don't know what it's called) that goes around the door because water lays in there and it will stink and mold if you do not! Every time I am finished washing for the day, I dry it out completely and then leave the door open.  I also use one of those products that you buy especially for keeping the washer smelling clean.  About once a month is good.  Oxyclean has a good one.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

I have a LG front loader washer/dryer set that's maybe 11/12?? years old?  Love them!!  I have the pedastal drawer thing under both so I don't have to bend down to reach them.  I usually keep the washer door cracked open and as others have stated, use the cleaner stuff you can buy every now and again I put in the washer. Have had NO issues with mold except one time (before I started using the cleaner stuff). But not since!

Esteemed Contributor

I've had an LG front load washer for several years and never had a problem. After doing a load, I do leave the door open - 

Honored Contributor

Why so many threads?

We just got a new washer and dryer, and they are that 'HE' thing which, I believe, they all are now.

I looked around internetland and CR and one thing is that I wanted to stick with a top-loader.  Mine doesn't have the agitator thing in it and it seems to work very well.

One thing is the new thing with using less water.  I'm the first person in line for 'I hate waste' but you do need a certain amount of water to do the job properly.   My machine has a 'deep fill' button that works on some of the programs.  That makes all the difference.  If not enough water is used, the items end up with this weird stuff stuck to them - at least cottons and pretty much everything I wear or have on my bed or linens is cotton.    It's like dust, but it digs right into the fibers.  Weirdest thing ever and nobody ever knows what I'm talking about.  Smiley Frustrated

I had my old one for 20 years, so all of this is new.

The 'HE' thing doesn't make a difference, to me, except that you want the laundry detergents you use to have that 'HE' logo and I find that the ones I'm using, and have been using for years have the 'HE' logo on them, so nothing to adjust there.

Valued Contributor

I have the front load Whirlpool Duet. It cleans very well and I have had no problems. I think the most important thing is to use very little detergent..Too much detergent causes mold because it doesn't get rinsed out well. I use about a tablespoon of detergent for a load. My clothes come out very clean. I do use some Spray and Wash on spots. 

I have no mold problems. I wipe around the rubber gasket and leave the door ajar when I am finished washing.

I had the top load Maytag Bravos that lasted only four years before the bearing went bad.