Honored Contributor

Just one or two small projects a year makes a big difference.

Every winter while we are at home in Florida we try to do a small project to make our home prettier or more functional or comfortable. This week my DH took down shelves that were over the washer/dryer area and replaced them with a large cupboard over the washer and then a hanging rod from the side of that cupboard over to the wall so I can hang clothes up right out of the dryer. It looks so much better than those cluttered shelves looked.I also used to leave my mop & broom and dustrags hanging there and he now put a small cabinet in the garage for those. By watching the scratch and dent sales at Home Depot & Lowes we were able to get a 36 x 36 wall cabinet, pretty white with raised panel doors - very nice looking for only $86.  The side against the wall  is very scratched & dented in but who cares - it can't be seen. A  nice large white cabinet there really lightens up this area where there are no windows. 

Next project - we are going to repaint my vanity and change out the hardware. We also are going to get the carpets professionally cleaned before we go home in the spring.

We do find that in addition to just doing maintainence it makes a home very nice to just do a project or two every year. Nothing terribly expensive. We usually do the labor ourselves. Being retired we have time to take as long as we need to shop for bargains on supplies and do things right.

Respected Contributor

Re: Just one or two small projects a year makes a big difference.

I'm with you.  I'm on a limited budget, but each month I do something to my house to refreshen it.  This month, I just added new fancy knobs to an old chifferobe I use in my living room for my books.  Put a multi-cubby shelf in my entryway to put all of my gloves, ear muffs, keys, sunglasses and scarves from winter so it's not so cluttered.  Put up a new liner and shower curtain in the bathroom.  That's it for this month, but next month buying paint to repaint my entryway and hallway. 

Honored Contributor

I totally agree with this, and it is a way to make/keep your home looking good. 

I have friends that get so discouraged about their house and the work that needs done. And I do realize everything costs money, and some people have to hire just about everything done, as they don't have the skills or abilities to do many things for themselves. 

But in my opinion, if you are going to own a home (as opposed to renting) and you want it to be well kept and nice, you have to make every effort to do at least something every year. Some years it is small (like OP's jobs she listed) sometimes it is big, like a new roof, a few new windows or a door, or a kitchen or bath remodel. 

I know something as simple as the new curtains I recently received, make a huge difference in the look of my home and my attitude about it (and my attitude in general). It gets discouraging if you can't do at least a little at a time to improve/maintain your surroundings.

Respected Contributor

@151949

Know exactly what you mean by every year a little project (s ).

This year we replaced the washer.  I had already put up a tub  tension rod over the washer/dryer to accommodate hanging clothes to finish air drying.  On the back wall under the shelving, I used 3M hooks for different types of hangers, especially clip hangers to stretch Bermuda shorts so no ironing need. On the side wall a column of hooks for scissors, clothes brushes, defuzzer, and long wooden spoon to stir or move stuff around. There was just enough space to plug in my Dyson vacuum.

Closet organization was the main theme:  several sets of double shelving from Lowe's were placed above the wire shelves in the clothes closets.  

The pantry closet got all types of bars and "S" hooks to utilize the back and side walls for brushes, bungees, mops, etc. ( Our garage is down 1.5 flights of stairs outside ).  

Cascading hangers needed to have the middle hook bent in to keep lower hangers from getting bumped off and falling on floor ( DH idea ).

Again, back wall space got wide bars with hooks for belts, necklaces, watches, etc.

Can hardly wait for next year...what will need to get replaced !!!

image.jpg

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Before we retired and DH was travelling all the time there was no time for doing projects and I did not want DH to feel he only came home to do work around the house constantly. So I hired every little thing out - i had a great handyman! But I had to be much more selective about what I had done because it was always so expensive. Now that we have the time we can do much more ourselves, and my DH gets some satisfaction when his projects turn out well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

I have friends that get so discouraged about their house and the work that needs done. And I do realize everything costs money, and some people have to hire just about everything done, as they don't have the skills or abilities to do many things for themselves. 

But in my opinion, if you are going to own a home (as opposed to renting) and you want it to be well kept and nice, you have to make every effort to do at least something every year. Some years it is small (like OP's jobs she listed) sometimes it is big, like a new roof, a few new windows or a door, or a kitchen or bath remodel. 

I know something as simple as the new curtains I recently received, make a huge difference in the look of my home and my attitude about it (and my attitude in general). It gets discouraging if you can't do at least a little at a time to improve/maintain your surroundings.

I have plantation shutters on every window and I do love them, esp. because they are much better at controlling the sun here in Fl. which can be an issue. However, I do miss the prettiness and softness of nice curtains. When you mention loving your new curtains I get a little twinge of jealousy. In our summer camp we have honeycomb shades and valances which are nice. I like the softness of fabrics in a home.

And i agree - it doesn't take a lot. Just a few little things can make a huge difference. I have an entertainment center that covers one whole wall in the living room and I had about 20 family pictures out on it. I take those down at Christmas and put a large nativity scene there so this year, after Christmas I decided so many pictures are rather cluttered looking. I pared it down to only 8 and I like it much better. I also thought if I matched up the frames some it would seem more intentional and cohesive so I spent some on frames that are all in dark wood, much nicer looking.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

I have plantation shutters on every window and I do love them, esp. because they are much better at controlling the sun here in Fl. which can be an issue. However, I do miss the prettiness and softness of nice curtains. When you mention loving your new curtains I get a little twinge of jealousy. In our summer camp we have honeycomb shades and valances which are nice. I like the softness of fabrics in a home.

And i agree - it doesn't take a lot. Just a few little things can make a huge difference. I have an entertainment center that covers one whole wall in the living room and I had about 20 family pictures out on it. I take those down at Christmas and put a large nativity scene there so this year, after Christmas I decided so many pictures are rather cluttered looking. I pared it down to only 8 and I like it much better. I also thought if I matched up the frames some it would seem more intentional and cohesive so I spent some on frames that are all in dark wood, much nicer looking.

@151949

I bet your new picture arrangement does look great.

One thing I notice in people's homes is when they have a great idea, but then don't know when to stop, and it just gets to be too much. I tend to do that myself, then have to back things down a notch or two. I spent some time doing that on the shelves in my family room just yesterday. It tends to be displayed with things that belonged to people now gone in my family, but it had become too crowded and needed a redesign. It's better, but still not perfect.

I love photos of family, and when you coordinate the frames in like style I think it makes a house very homey. I know a lot of people don't care to display photos, but I love to have all mine in black and white or sepia, to match the old ones, and like they way they look.

Honored Contributor

Mominohio - I think we have the same problem - the ghosts of people who have passed. For me photos for you - stuff. When i went to put the pictures back out it was depressing me that they were all people who we cared for that have died.That was why I decided that it needed pared back. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have to hire out for everything or I'd have a million projects going.  I decided to work on my lawn this year so I hired a company to do all the treatments.  Last year the crabgrass was horrible and whatever I put down didn't work so I gave up and decided to let a company see if they can fix it.

I do love projects for my home but I get overwhelmed cause I have too much I want to do. 

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

I have to hire out for everything or I'd have a million projects going.  I decided to work on my lawn this year so I hired a company to do all the treatments.  Last year the crabgrass was horrible and whatever I put down didn't work so I gave up and decided to let a company see if they can fix it.

I do love projects for my home but I get overwhelmed cause I have too much I want to do. 

Yes, you have to do them one at a time and don't start on a second one until the first one is finished.Our HOA is supposed to maintain our flower beds around the house but they only actually do the front ones so our next project is going to have to be to weed, edge and mulch the remainder of the beds. DH and I both absolutely hate this kind of work and that is one reason we moved here but it is what it is.