Occasional Contributor

Just moved...Is there no privacy anymore?

I recently relocated and my family and I are renting a house. The day we were supposed to move in the property owner wanted to "look over" the property. We agreed and rescheduled the mover to come two days later (the earliest they could reschedule). It costs us two days more of being holed up in a hotel, but we wanted to be on good terms with the landlord. A week later they called again, and wanted to stop by to look around. This time we told them no, we were settling in and it would be about a month before things would be presentable. Instead of calling in a month, they call every week asking if they can come. Last week I was doing some work in the house and I saw a car slow down and stop in front of our house and the driver snapped a photo and sped off.

To make matters worse, every time our family relocates my husband's family treats our new home like a B&B...they all can't wait to book a flight and stay at our house. I generally don't mind this too much, but I wish they would hold off until we're all moved in. Last time we moved my MIL came 5 days after the moving van pulled away and then again a month later. This time my SIL is wanting to come (in 10 days). I told her our guest room was full of boxes since we are using it as a temporary storage space, and now was not a good time, but we'd love to have her after we're settled in. Apparently she did not like this answer because she asked my husband, and he said okay (he has a big tight family and hates the drama and conflicts that a "no" would bring).

Just had to vent...moving was tumultous enough without having to deal with all these other people breathing down my neck.