Respected Contributor

Re: Joy Mangano sells 250,000 mops did she make electric retailing history?

@bonnielu wrote:

I tuned in.  I was tempted.  BUT THEN I READ THE FINE PRINT.... no bucket.... No bucket... And I thought more  money for a bucket that matched.  And then I decided I did not need it anyway. I have a steam mop that I love.  Or I cam get down on my hands and knees and wash my floor... better exercise.  Man Very Happy

I think you made a wise choice.at least till the reviews are in.  Bought a similar one from Target several months ago and it didn't work from the start. Hope others have better luck with Joy's creation, it looks the same as mine did.

Honored Contributor

I went to see the movie before I learned from these boards that it was based on a real person. My friend and I made plans after a trailer showed all the actors. We both enjoyed Silver Linings. Jennifer was very good.

I heard of the real Joy but never seen her in action. When she was listed my channel guide, I had to tune in. Yikes. I understand to strike while the iron is hot but... The hostess was saying buy several since there will be collector's items. Really? Does it go down in value if the box is opened? She also kept stressing - buy the mop that insipire a movie. Was that the plotline? Based on viewing other movies starring a cleaning apparatus - my vote is for the broom on Disney's Fantasia - The Sorcerer's Apprentice. It probably sings and dances and you don't have to touch the dirty parts either.

If Joy did sell all those mops yesterday - brillant business woman now and then. I did not buy a mop.

Unknown.jpeg

Honored Contributor

The first thing I bought from her was a plastic jewelry box that rolled up.  Yes, rolled up.  Stuff was falling out all the time and I donated it so perhaps some other poor soul could deal with the frustration more than I could.  That was at QVC.  Then I bought two of those expensive shelving units that just stand against the wall, no nails.  That was with HSN. Sounds great, but they ended up on cheap closeout.  I have one in the closet that holds recycles and bags, so if it lets loose nothing will be harmed.  The other one is still in the box.  That was a $350.00 lesson.   I totally  tuned out when she partnered with Todd English.  I had already been burned on his first line of non-stick cookware that didn't last beyond a year.  That didn't even make the donation box, all pieces went straight into the trash. So Joy is on my no-buy list, so is Todd.

Respected Contributor

I told you she would sell a bunch - she's quite the salesperson!

Respected Contributor

I looked at the mop's pictures and determined that is wasn't any different than the Libman mops and others of the same design from years and years ago. She only "changed the fibers" in the mop head. I prefer using a steamer or swiffer head and a microfiber cloth and really get the floor clean that a mop can't.
Honored Contributor

I just don't understand the concept of that kind of a mop.  I've never seen a demo, but have seen an image of the mop.

I use mops they sell at Lowe's and love them.  (Quickie)  I can change the mop head every time I so choose.  Using the same mop head to me over and over and over and over ....is just gross.  Don't know if Joy sells fresh mop heads, too.

I'm weird about floors and I would never get on my hands and knees and scrub a floor.  I don't understand that concept as being good either. That's an argument you'll never win at my house.

Honored Contributor

My housekeeper was using a spinmop on my ceramic tile floors and I hated it.It leaves the floor too wet and when it dried it looked streaked. I asked her to use my Don Aslett mop instead and I am happier with the result.

Respected Contributor

151949.....get a steam mop. You won't use anything else but the power of steam to clean. Your floors will never be cleaner and without chemicals.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tigriss wrote:
I looked at the mop's pictures and determined that is wasn't any different than the Libman mops and others of the same design from years and years ago. She only "changed the fibers" in the mop head. I prefer using a steamer or swiffer head and a microfiber cloth and really get the floor clean that a mop can't.

Exactly; I have a Lipmans and it does look the same.  Much prefer the spin mop concept but from another vendor and have no problem with the look of my floors afterward, maybe it depends on how well your mop spins.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use my spin mop on my ceramic tile floors and they dry very quickly.  Your housekeeper must have not spinned it enough to wring it dry. 

I have extra mop heads but I also wash my mop head in the washing machine with bleach and hot water. 

In the 41 years I've been married I've always liked a spaghetti mop no matter what other type of mop I tried and I have tried many. I also have a steamer that I rarely use. To me the Spin mop is the best of them all so far!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran