Esteemed Contributor

Re: JoAnn's (Yeah, that place…)

(the troll story is hysterical! not sure what the embellishments were )

I'm trying to buy Chicago Blackhawk fleece to make my GS a blanket. I checked the Joann's website and it said it was available at a store 20 minutes away. My big mistake was not to call the store first. I left so I could be there the minute the store opened. They didn't have one inch of the fleece. They said the website hasn't been correct for weeks!!

Respected Contributor

On 10/22/2014 shesallthat said:
On 10/22/2014 ical said:
On 10/22/2014 StylishLady said:

I had a disagreement concerning a return at our local store. I have not been back since. There are many places where I can purchase items like they sell.

That happened to me, and I was completely horrified at the Salem Witch trial under which I was placed.

I had purchased the entire remainder of a bolt of fabric, but with the question asked (on my part): If this does not work, I can bring this back, right? And the answer was "yes".

So the girl measured the remainder of the bolt, put the price tag on the material, and I picked out other things and checked out.

Well the fabric would not work, so I returned it, with the receipt, the price still stapled in where the girl had measured and tagged it.

And all was good…so I thought.

They measured the fabric and then the lady measuring looked at me like a snippy old bat and walked away to bring in the giant troll. The giant troll measured the fabric, just as the snippy old bat had. The troll in its best troll voice said: This isn't the same measure.

I said: What do you mean?

The giant troll left and brought TWO other females. They looked like wire people, thin, hard featured, clicky nails tapping on the measuring table with their clicky voices chattering in high tinny tones.

I thought I was going to be dunked in the back lot.{#emotions_dlg.scared}

The troll measured again, showing me how, what she comes up with as a measurement, is just under three inches from what the tag says. "See?" The troll bellowed.

I ask: Are you saying I took less than three inches from a patterned piece of material? To use as what? A book mark? Is this what you are saying?

Yup! Echoed the troll, and the tin twins cackled in their metallic throats. The snippy old bat snapped out: You can't return it!

So I said:

You do realize I bought the end of the bolt and it was measured to the end, right?

The troll said: That shouldn't make any difference in the measurement.

I said: Then measure the other side of the fabric because look at the end piece. (I held up the end and showed how it was at an angle and not straight.) I said: You can see too, that the end piece is not cut but wrinkled, as would be at the end of a bolt. So measure the other side.

The troll told the snippy old bat to measure. She unfurled her arms which were folded tight against her chest like a good bat soldier. And when she measured the other end, it came out to the tag measurement. Exactly. No missing less than three inches!

The troll party was over. The metal tin twins tapped away into the dark cave in the back room. The troll sulked into troll hall, and the snippy bat snipped out approval for the refund.

This is a true story except for the embellishments.

omg!!!! this is so funny!!!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}{#emotions_dlg.lol}

ical, do you know you write extraordinarily well? Keep it up, I love it!

Respected Contributor

Guess I'm lucky to have one of the good ones by me with very nice ladies who work there. However, When visiting my DD in another town, I went to her local store and was over charged almost thirty dollars. Went back to get it straightened out, checked the receipt and was still over charged.Took three times back to get it right. They were kind of grumpy about it, also..
Super Contributor

Hey, thanks to all for the nice replies in regard to my tale regarding JoAnn's!

Contributor

On 10/22/2014 Frannie said:

I go in a few times a year but always around this time of year. I have bought a lot of Halloween stuff over the years. Their Autumn and Halloween stuff was 70% off Sunday. There was a 30% off coupon in the paper and if you spent $50 then they gave you another 30% off on a future purchase. They refused to honor the coupon unless I spent $50. I still got good bargains but this always happens with their coupons. They're very misleading. And I agree - the clerks are not the best or most helpful.

As it was explained to me... They apply only one coupon per non-sale item, period. If you use a 30% off coupon on Item A, that item is not part of the total purchase for the 30% off your entire order (sale & non-sale items) coupon. But I've got to say that I'm lucky to have a JoAnn store near me that has nice saleswomen.
Super Contributor

On 10/24/2014 AutumnBlonde said:

I go in a few times a year but always around this time of year. I have bought a lot of Halloween stuff over the years. Their Autumn and Halloween stuff was 70% off Sunday. There was a 30% off coupon in the paper and if you spent $50 then they gave you another 30% off on a future purchase. They refused to honor the coupon unless I spent $50. I still got good bargains but this always happens with their coupons. They're very misleading. And I agree - the clerks are not the best or most helpful.

As it was explained to me... They apply only one coupon per non-sale item, period. If you use a 30% off coupon on Item A, that item is not part of the total purchase for the 30% off your entire order (sale & non-sale items) coupon. But I've got to say that I'm lucky to have a JoAnn store near me that has nice saleswomen.

But the inquisitors {#emotions_dlg.angry}{#emotions_dlg.closedeyes}{#emotions_dlg.sneaky}{#emotions_dlg.mad}{#emotions_dlg.glare}are not saleswomen. I was returning fabric. {#emotions_dlg.scared} The horror!

Super Contributor

I'm going to read ical's "Little JoAnn's Shop of Horrors" to my nephew on Halloween!{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Cannot understand the point of being impatient and unhelpful to customers. I was treated rather rudely at a department store once (had the nerve to ask a question) and I told the clerk how sorry I was to have bothered her, just loud enough for others around to hear.

I never had trouble at our JoAnn's store with the employees, but rarely go anymore. It isn't cost effective to sew my clothes like it once was (patterns alone can cost $15 or more, and the price of fabric...YIKES!). I made my niece a fancy princess gown to play in and bought all supplies at Wal-Mart. I did get the pattern at JoAnn's on sale for $.99. The whole thing cost under $25 and was better made then the flimsy play dresses on the market.

Honored Contributor

The only problem I have with Joann's are the ladies at the fabric-cutting counter. They're slow and indifferent to the line forming behind them. They don't call extra help when the line is long. There is no express lane; how many times have I wanted ribbon cut and was behind a lady with a cart full of bolts. Reminds me of postal service workers - the ones behind the counter, not delivery people.

Contributor

On 10/24/2014 ical said:
On 10/24/2014 AutumnBlonde said:

But the inquisitors {#emotions_dlg.angry}{#emotions_dlg.closedeyes}{#emotions_dlg.sneaky}{#emotions_dlg.mad}{#emotions_dlg.glare}are not saleswomen. I was returning fabric. {#emotions_dlg.scared} The horror!

Well, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who have a nice JoAnns near me. I didn't even know that you could return cut fabric. I've never asked. If I realize that I will never use it, I donate it to the Rescue Mission or a local quilting group. What other fabric places except cut fabric as a return? I'm curious.
Frequent Contributor

On 10/22/2014 ical said:
On 10/22/2014 StylishLady said:

I had a disagreement concerning a return at our local store. I have not been back since. There are many places where I can purchase items like they sell.

That happened to me, and I was completely horrified at the Salem Witch trial under which I was placed.

I had purchased the entire remainder of a bolt of fabric, but with the question asked (on my part): If this does not work, I can bring this back, right? And the answer was "yes".

So the girl measured the remainder of the bolt, put the price tag on the material, and I picked out other things and checked out.

Well the fabric would not work, so I returned it, with the receipt, the price still stapled in where the girl had measured and tagged it.

And all was good…so I thought.

They measured the fabric and then the lady measuring looked at me like a snippy old bat and walked away to bring in the giant troll. The giant troll measured the fabric, just as the snippy old bat had. The troll in its best troll voice said: This isn't the same measure.

I said: What do you mean?

The giant troll left and brought TWO other females. They looked like wire people, thin, hard featured, clicky nails tapping on the measuring table with their clicky voices chattering in high tinny tones.

I thought I was going to be dunked in the back lot.{#emotions_dlg.scared}

The troll measured again, showing me how, what she comes up with as a measurement, is just under three inches from what the tag says. "See?" The troll bellowed.

I ask: Are you saying I took less than three inches from a patterned piece of material? To use as what? A book mark? Is this what you are saying?

Yup! Echoed the troll, and the tin twins cackled in their metallic throats. The snippy old bat snapped out: You can't return it!

So I said:

You do realize I bought the end of the bolt and it was measured to the end, right?

The troll said: That shouldn't make any difference in the measurement.

I said: Then measure the other side of the fabric because look at the end piece. (I held up the end and showed how it was at an angle and not straight.) I said: You can see too, that the end piece is not cut but wrinkled, as would be at the end of a bolt. So measure the other side.

The troll told the snippy old bat to measure. She unfurled her arms which were folded tight against her chest like a good bat soldier. And when she measured the other end, it came out to the tag measurement. Exactly. No missing less than three inches!

The troll party was over. The metal tin twins tapped away into the dark cave in the back room. The troll sulked into troll hall, and the snippy bat snipped out approval for the refund.

This is a true story except for the embellishments.

OMG...that was hysterical! {#emotions_dlg.lol} I agree with the others you should be a writer.

When you do let me know so I can buy your book!