Honored Contributor

Re: JoAnn's (Yeah, that place…)

On 10/22/2014 ical said:
On 10/22/2014 StylishLady said:

I had a disagreement concerning a return at our local store. I have not been back since. There are many places where I can purchase items like they sell.

That happened to me, and I was completely horrified at the Salem Witch trial under which I was placed.

I had purchased the entire remainder of a bolt of fabric, but with the question asked (on my part): If this does not work, I can bring this back, right? And the answer was "yes".

So the girl measured the remainder of the bolt, put the price tag on the material, and I picked out other things and checked out.

Well the fabric would not work, so I returned it, with the receipt, the price still stapled in where the girl had measured and tagged it.

And all was good…so I thought.

They measured the fabric and then the lady measuring looked at me like a snippy old bat and walked away to bring in the giant troll. The giant troll measured the fabric, just as the snippy old bat had. The troll in its best troll voice said: This isn't the same measure.

I said: What do you mean?

The giant troll left and brought TWO other females. They looked like wire people, thin, hard featured, clicky nails tapping on the measuring table with their clicky voices chattering in high tinny tones.

I thought I was going to be dunked in the back lot.{#emotions_dlg.scared}

The troll measured again, showing me how, what she comes up with as a measurement, is just under three inches from what the tag says. "See?" The troll bellowed.

I ask: Are you saying I took less than three inches from a patterned piece of material? To use as what? A book mark? Is this what you are saying?

Yup! Echoed the troll, and the tin twins cackled in their metallic throats. The snippy old bat snapped out: You can't return it!

So I said:

You do realize I bought the end of the bolt and it was measured to the end, right?

The troll said: That shouldn't make any difference in the measurement.

I said: Then measure the other side of the fabric because look at the end piece. (I held up the end and showed how it was at an angle and not straight.) I said: You can see too, that the end piece is not cut but wrinkled, as would be at the end of a bolt. So measure the other side.

The troll told the snippy old bat to measure. She unfurled her arms which were folded tight against her chest like a good bat soldier. And when she measured the other end, it came out to the tag measurement. Exactly. No missing less than three inches!

The troll party was over. The metal tin twins tapped away into the dark cave in the back room. The troll sulked into troll hall, and the snippy bat snipped out approval for the refund.

This is a true story except for the embellishments.

I actually enjoyed reading your story (account) of happenings at Joann's. Thanks, ical. Smile

Frequent Contributor

Ah yes, Joann's. Which horror story do I tell ? Sales clerks, I think not. ICal you are so right. Did they all go to the same training center ? Unless you live near me. I just visited my sister last Sat. She lives 75 miles from me and that store was as bad as mine. Makes me think they must all be the same. What can we do, there are no fabric stores anywhere around. Remnants, that's a joke. Do they want to sell that stuff or not? Then price it to sell.
Super Contributor

Such horror stories...My Joann's salespeople must have gone to a different training center than some of yours.

This summer, I bought two lengths of expensive outdoor fabric to cover my DIL deck chairs. It took at least a month until I started working on the project and then I discovered I'd bought way too much fabric. I called and asked if I could return the one length. Their only questions were: did you cut anything off of it? Was it laundered? I hadn't done either. I took the fabric back with my receipt and they credited my card with no further questions.

Honored Contributor

On 10/22/2014 shesallthat said:
On 10/22/2014 ical said:
On 10/22/2014 StylishLady said:

I had a disagreement concerning a return at our local store. I have not been back since. There are many places where I can purchase items like they sell.

That happened to me, and I was completely horrified at the Salem Witch trial under which I was placed.

I had purchased the entire remainder of a bolt of fabric, but with the question asked (on my part): If this does not work, I can bring this back, right? And the answer was "yes".

So the girl measured the remainder of the bolt, put the price tag on the material, and I picked out other things and checked out.

Well the fabric would not work, so I returned it, with the receipt, the price still stapled in where the girl had measured and tagged it.

And all was good…so I thought.

They measured the fabric and then the lady measuring looked at me like a snippy old bat and walked away to bring in the giant troll. The giant troll measured the fabric, just as the snippy old bat had. The troll in its best troll voice said: This isn't the same measure.

I said: What do you mean?

The giant troll left and brought TWO other females. They looked like wire people, thin, hard featured, clicky nails tapping on the measuring table with their clicky voices chattering in high tinny tones.

I thought I was going to be dunked in the back lot.{#emotions_dlg.scared}

The troll measured again, showing me how, what she comes up with as a measurement, is just under three inches from what the tag says. "See?" The troll bellowed.

I ask: Are you saying I took less than three inches from a patterned piece of material? To use as what? A book mark? Is this what you are saying?

Yup! Echoed the troll, and the tin twins cackled in their metallic throats. The snippy old bat snapped out: You can't return it!

So I said:

You do realize I bought the end of the bolt and it was measured to the end, right?

The troll said: That shouldn't make any difference in the measurement.

I said: Then measure the other side of the fabric because look at the end piece. (I held up the end and showed how it was at an angle and not straight.) I said: You can see too, that the end piece is not cut but wrinkled, as would be at the end of a bolt. So measure the other side.

The troll told the snippy old bat to measure. She unfurled her arms which were folded tight against her chest like a good bat soldier. And when she measured the other end, it came out to the tag measurement. Exactly. No missing less than three inches!

The troll party was over. The metal tin twins tapped away into the dark cave in the back room. The troll sulked into troll hall, and the snippy bat snipped out approval for the refund.

This is a true story except for the embellishments.

omg!!!! this is so funny!!!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}{#emotions_dlg.lol}

ical, you should be writing for a living (if you don't already)! that was a fine piece of Halloween humor, and you have quite a talent! And a great imagination as well!

Respected Contributor

I go in a few times a year but always around this time of year. I have bought a lot of Halloween stuff over the years. Their Autumn and Halloween stuff was 70% off Sunday. There was a 30% off coupon in the paper and if you spent $50 then they gave you another 30% off on a future purchase. They refused to honor the coupon unless I spent $50. I still got good bargains but this always happens with their coupons. They're very misleading. And I agree - the clerks are not the best or most helpful.

Respected Contributor

I have 3 Joanns that I shop at regularly & I love going there. The web site is horrible & I have written to them about it. It's very hard to use. The products have very little descriptive information that I need, unless I have already shopped for the product in person & know exactly what I want. You could never figure out sizes or how to use anything from shopping the web site. I can use as many coupons as I can find & use in the store, but only one online. I have only ever returned a couple of things there & didn't have a problem, but I would think that returning a cut piece of fabric would be something that they would check closely. There are some really shady people out there. I don't like being made to feel guilty or given the stink eye when I haven't done anything wrong, though!

Trusted Contributor

Hey ical, have you ever thought of writing a situation comedy. That was so funny I ROTFL.

Super Contributor

I purchased a sewing machine there a couple months ago...got it home and half the accessory pieces were missing. Clearly used and returned. I hot-footed it back and returned it.

Purchased a wonderful machine right here on the Q. Love it.

Honored Contributor

I have never had any bad experiences with JoAnn's nor Michael's either! I don't know where you live, but these stores in my area are very nice ........... certainly not "landfill" stores!!!

Of course my favorite store is HL, mostly because it is more convenient!

BTW, ical/OP .......... don't know who you were in a previous life, but seems like you are criticizing everything around the forums!

Super Contributor

Yes Hooty I hav had ical on ignore due to a couple of other impressions on threads.

Hav to admit her story here is pretty funny. Saw it due to others copying . . .

Never go to JoAnns, only HL and Michaels. Always good customer service both places no reason to shop JoAnn's.