Honored Contributor

Re: Jackery 1500 Solar Generator

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'd be dubious about a solar generator operating well during the cloudy storm season.

@Kachina624    I doubt it would power my 15,000 watt air-conditioner 24 hours a day..........    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Greekme1105 wrote:

With summer storm season approaching, I would like to see QVC offer this awesome solor powered generator. With enough requests, QVC may inquire and offer this item with the solar panels included.

@Greekme1105 This sounds to me like you own or are otherwise associated with the company.  I doubt you came here today by coincidence. 

Or maybe they thought QVC would give them a better price than elsewhere, but I doubt it.  That's why I directed them to the EcoFlow on HSN with the same capabilities at basically 1/2 the price.  No way QVC will match that.  There's nothing wrong with these little generators as long as you understand their limitations.  They aren't meant to replace a whole home generator, but neither are the smaller gas powered generators like what we own.  However, if you're getting into the price point of that particular Jackery generator, maybe they should be looking at investing in a whole home one.

In the 20+ years I have lived here, we have only had one long-term power outage after a slew of tornadoes tore through the area, so something like this at the lower price point might be a good investment depending on what you need it for and only expect short outages.

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Solar anything is kinda pointless where I live. 

Add up the wattage of your must haves for winter and or spring/summer if you're considering a whole house or portable jenny. Most of the cheaper ones are pretty useless and newer vehicles can usually charge a phone or tablet if that's your only concern.

If you're going for a portable gas jenny, look for one on wheels and push button start. They often weigh 100lbs+ and you need to wheel it around in bad weather.

Be mindful of where the exhaust is when running. Carbon monoxide is deadly. 

And be sure you have a way to securely lock it to something unmovable. Portable generators get stolen a lot after big storms. People who have been without power for several days tend to get desperate and if they can't buy or borrow a generator, they'll steal one. Since generators must be run outside, they're an easy target for thieves.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

We've had a portable gas powered one and after Hurricane Sandy, gifted our children each one that Christmas.  They do disappear from the shelves during storm season.  We've lived in hurricane territory....always.

Ours has developed leaking problems I think my husband said due to the ethanol or something added to the gasoline.  It's a beast to start up---for me.  I do practice.

We are going to buy a whole house generator sometime this year after we move to our retirement place.  I understand there will be a waiting period before it's actually installed.  I can live with that.  My parents have had one (whole house) for over 20 years and have never needed to use it for more than a couple of hours.  Still worth it's weight in gold, if you ask me.