Honored Contributor

JUST A FEW BIG LOTS GOODIES I SPOTTED

Hadn't been there in quite a while.  They have some old favorites, plus a few new things that look promising.

The "Broyhill Sweet Tobacco" soy blend candle in ceramic jar is back.  It is so good--  doesn't make you think of tobacco, just a very soft, but persisting, just slightly sweet,  hauntingly woodsy scent.  Even hubby loves it!  My first jar that I finished, I'm now using as a planter-- it is such a useful, neutral sand-colored jar, with a faint basket weave pattern--

Sweet+Tobacco+Ceramic+Jar+Candle,+16+Oz.+.jpg

I don't like most potted "faux succulents" you find in stores, with their tell-tale hard "faux soil".   So, here's what I do.  Take a nice empty ceramic jar like an empty candle one above, fill it with real potting soil, and get a loose, faux succulent 'sprig' from Walmart or Big Lots.  Plant it in the soil.  You can even rub a little of the soil on the leaves for realism....   

I love real plants, but in a few of my darker areas, it's fun to experiment with just a few faux.

Another interesting candle, that looks like a sculpture:

Broyhill Eucalyptus and Aloe 4 Wick Boat Candle--

images.jpg

I like that they're going more toward warm, textured-looking containers, like the sand basketweave one, and this rich brown ridged organic-looking one.  That's very "on trend",  as the Q would say....

Metal watering cans--

images.jpg

I have this one in the pretty sort of "racing green" color above.  I see now online that they also have it in black, which I'd also like.  Love the graceful lines of it.

My local Big Lots no longer has any of the vintage looking Messina pitchers, but it still has plenty of these smaller, clean-lined modern ones, "White Ceramic Pitcher, 1.5 Liter".  It's really the "Bliss" pitcher by 10 Strawberry Street.  I use mine for a utensil holder, and since it's a pitcher, I like that I can use the handle to move it around the kitchen.  Best utensil holder I've had, and on sale now for $6.99.

images.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: JUST A FEW BIG LOTS GOODIES I SPOTTED

As always, Oznell, I enjoy your decor post!  I love your idea of putting soil in a pot and a faux plant/flower in the soil for a more realistic look.  The candles are very nice and yes, after the candle is finished, the vessel can be used for other ideas.  I have many glass Slatkin candle holders which I use to store different items.  Big Lots does have many surprises and fun items to see and of course the prices are always great!!!!  

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions, they are appreciated by someone who loves all sorts of decor!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

These are nice pictures.  I really love the 4 wick boat candle.  I have one very similar to the basket weave white  candle but I have a succulent in it. I never thought about a pitcher with a handle on it for utensils.  That's a good idea as I'm always moving mine around, too! I may give that a try!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell   Thanks for sharing.  I try to stay out of there.  Need nothing but fun to look.  

A funny story......my SO, he has purchased several live orchids for me at different times.  Last one he bought me was a faux orchid.  Usually gets them at Home Depot.  It looked so real, he didn’t realize it was faux.  I just can’t get rid of it, I might try your idea with using real potting soil in it.  We laughed and laughed about it.  

Honored Contributor

@spiderw,  oh, yes, those exceptional Slatkin candle holders, when empty, make such fab containers!

@jubilant,  I like experimenting with different holders, and so far, jugs and pitchers are my fave for utensils because of the portability.  I put my small collection of wooden and bamboo spoons in this white pitcher, and enjoy the contrast of the warm wood with the clean graphic shape of it...

@lynnie61,  ha, ha, no wonder your husband was fooled-- some of them are so realistic!  Sweet of him to bring you orchids.  I loved the tip of one orchid fancier--  when the blooms are all spent on hers, but the leaves are still going strong, she removes those blooms, and puts a realistic faux orchid blossom in the pot with the real leaves.  One way to keep enjoying the look.    

Honored Contributor

Candles look super nice!!!! I may have to re-visit our Big Lots!!! Haven't been in a very long time.