Honored Contributor

Re: JOANNA MADDEN'S "KHAKI CHIC" HOUSE

I like her taste very much.  She is able to mix furniture pieces beautifully.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I like most of it but I don't like the pieces that look rusty. The contrast between the rusty furniture and the other clean colors, is strikingly harsh looking.

Super Contributor

Would be nice to visit but I wouldn't want to live there or even stay over night.  There's a lot to look at, like in a gallery or museum.  It's visually stimulating but not comfortable to be in.  There's a bunch of collectables but not accents.  Everything just runs together -- very well placed clutter.

Honored Contributor

I forgot this aspect:  despite the fact that she's clearly a collector (white ironstone, mirrors, frames, suitcases, urns, etc.) she has them nicely, even tightly, organized. Even her cook books are tamed (see below!).  I think that's what keeps it from being overwhelming to me.  But still, my personal tolerance of lots of even beautiful things has changed over the years--  I need a "sparer" look, and breathing space. I'd have to live with somewhat less than she does, to be optimally comfortable with my space.

Joanna-Madden-Rikki-Snyder-Photography-Style-Me-Pretty-Living-Cottage-Home-Tour-Vintage-Kitchen-600x899.jpg

Honored Contributor

I ADORE this!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I like most of it. Some of it is just a little too shabby chic for my taste, but it is a lovely home that in my opinion is very inviting!

Esteemed Contributor

It's nice if you're into that style but it's not for me.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

It's warm and welcoming in someone else's home. I wouldn't be comfortable with so much "stuff." That china cabinet with the missing paint, isn't my style.

Thanks @Oznell for posting as it is nice seeing all the different ways that people choose to decorate...

Honored Contributor

It's my pleasure, @Trinity11 --  I'm the same way-- it's the most fun spectator sport, for me, to see how people with a real "knack",  arrange their houses and their lives.  Even if it's not exactly what I'd do.  My Dad, a realtor, used to sometimes take me along when he was showing houses-- that must be where I first got the "looky-lou" bug!

Respected Contributor

@qwarkster wrote:

Would be nice to visit but I wouldn't want to live there or even stay over night.  There's a lot to look at, like in a gallery or museum.  It's visually stimulating but not comfortable to be in There's a bunch of collectables but not accents.  Everything just runs together -- very well placed clutter.

Yes, @qwarkster   I completely agree.