Honored Contributor

JASPER CONRAN'S 1620 ENGLISH HOUSE

0af0fed9e16467ef87734977f1e8be9a.jpg

Apparently the celebrated Terence Conran wasn't the only designer in the family!  His son Jasper seems to be quite the mogul in his own right, and here is his seventeenth century Dorset country house.  He says it was undisturbed for centuries, but he seems to have made it so comfortable for today's living, while retaining its ancient charm.

A sunny sitting room is set up for chess.

jasper-conran-dorest-england-world-of-interiors-instagram-habituallychic-007.jpg

That is a fragment of intricate old needlework above the couch.

jasper-conran-dorest-england-world-of-interiors-instagram-habituallychic-010.jpg

Here's a more formal salon, but I think I prefer the cozy sitting room.  The plaster ceiling in this room is incredible.

jasper-conran-dorest-england-world-of-interiors-instagram-habituallychic-011.jpg

Love the Gothic breakfront in this little dining room, and the old mirrored sconce.

jasper-conran-dorest-england-world-of-interiors-instagram-habituallychic-014.jpg

Cheerful, quintessentially English kitchen.

jasper-conran-dorest-england-world-of-interiors-instagram-habituallychic-016-1024x765.jpg

This is his office.   I'd sure like to have an office like this-- makes everything seem more like play time than work!

jasper-conran-dorest-england-world-of-interiors-instagram-habituallychic-013-1024x763.jpg

It's in passageways like this, where I get the most atmospheric feel for the 1620 age of the house...

jasper-conran-dorest-england-world-of-interiors-instagram-habituallychic-005.jpg

Really like the way he mixes healthy plants in unpretentious terra cotta pots with his venerable portraits, antiques and elaborate mill work.  The beauty of contrasts!

jasper-conran-dorest-england-world-of-interiors-instagram-habituallychic-004.jpg

Beautiful Elizabethan portrait in the stair hall.

jasper-conran-dorest-england-world-of-interiors-instagram-habituallychic-022.jpg

English bedrooms in old houses often seem to incorporate rich reds or warm "flame" colors--  a way to combat chill British fogs?

jasper-conran-dorest-england-world-of-interiors-instagram-habituallychic-023.jpg

The vistas are like paintings.

jasper-conran-dorest-england-world-of-interiors-instagram-habituallychic-026.jpg

jasper-conran-dorest-england-world-of-interiors-instagram-habituallychic-030.jpg

Jasper Conran seems to be quite talented.  I'm impressed with the way he is able to pull off a timeless, approachable farmhouse feeling, while at the same time retaining a few of the picturesque, grander elements of his centuries' old home.

(If interested, both "Cafe Design" and "Habitually Chic" have more images and story about the house.)

Respected Contributor

Re: JASPER CONRAN'S 1620 ENGLISH HOUSE

@Oznell Beautiful and unbelievable countryside.

Esteemed Contributor

I like the paneling on the walls, or maybe it's a molding trim. Quite detailed. The old stone floors are nice too. 
 it's not overdone or too fancy for the house. Thanks! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Beautiful architectural detail and excellent taste in furniture; however, even a house like this hasn't escaped the neutral trend.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  Thanks for posting.  The interior of the home is just beautiful and the views are lovely.  I could live there.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

What a wonderful old place and magical setting...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Each picture brought two words to  mind, absolutely stunning!!!!  I love it all, elegant and formal, beautiful furnishings, art work, decor, views, all within my design zone! The only thing I would add are window treatments to fit the style of the rooms.  Walking through that lovely gate would be a treat for me!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  Your descriptions are .... scrumptious!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell -

That is really interesting.

That is a beautiful ceiling and I like the kitchen, the office, and it would be fun to tour the grounds (with the dog of courseSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

The only thing I don't like are the red dining room chairs.  They seem out of place with the rest of the house.  Love the countryside.  It looks so peaceful.

kindness is strength