Respected Contributor

Re: Items used to decorate a mantle.

I would use larger items that fit on the shelf width wise in various heights. Also, the odd numbers of items work well. A framed print or a canvas even leaning on the wall would work well with the clock. Do not decorate all the way to the ends of the mantel - center them all closer in or off to one side depending on the heights, really working with the clock on the wall as the focal point. Keep it simple. Taller items will make more of a impact than smaller items also.

Think big, think wow! Even if their candlesticks - use some with some heft and keep the candles with more of a neutral color, where the focus is on the candlesticks.

Happy decorating!! 

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

I always like either a large mirror or a large painting or sclupture over a mantal, then little or nothing actually on the mantal. If you'd like more light, a mirror reflects light back into the room.

I don't have a mantal but I do have a whole wall entertainment center that has a shelf across, but I can't help the OP as I have framed family pictures on mine with some scattered seashells of all different sizes and shapes around the pictures to be more interesting.

Honored Contributor

I'm not into "stuff", I like clean lines.  In our old house, we had a mantel in the dining room.  I kept pictures in smaller frames on the mantal and chrystal candle sticks on each end of the mantel.  

Honored Contributor

@ECBG  I hope this isn't off-topic, but what do you think about hanging a flat-screen TV over the mantle?  I haven't done it, but it seems many people do.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

All decorating leads to other areas in a home.  I'm more than happy to help.  I loved teaching and miss it; I also wrote Interior Design curriculum for the state.

Some people do put flat screen TVs over a mantle.  It's a matter of taste, but it doesn't follow good design.  I'm not a fan.  I prefer to look straight for long periods of time and not up which I find tiring.

If you look up main "focal point" of a room, it's usually over the couch or over a large fireplace if there is one.  (The fireplace is in it's self a structural focal point.).  If there are both, the focal points should differ and shouldn't mirror the exact shape of the other.

Focal points tie a room together and set the tone.  A large picture can be used to identify the colors used in a room.  The color in higest concentration should be for the couch.  The other 3 or 4 colors in highest concentration can be colors for prints, plaids, dots, weaves, or solids used for other upholstered items in the room.  Accents (pillows, accessories) can come from colors that are accents in the print.

I feel like the large black "hole" doesn't add anything to the room.

(You may be surprised to know this room is "red and green, yet it doesn't look like Christmas.  The colors are pink and light green.  Neutrals allow the eye to rest.  There are warm and cool whites.  When you use a color, you can use the true color or a tint (light) or shade (dark) of it.  Think of a paint chip.  The green in your print will give you many options on that chip.

Image result for red and green paint chips

Image result for great room with tv over the fireplace

Image result for greatroom with tv over the fire place

Great rooms  and mantals with a color focal point.

Imaging a black tv in place of thest items on the mantle and how it would affect the room.

Image result for decorated fireplaces

Related image

Image result for decorated fireplaces

I'll be happy to help you if you have any questions.

Respected Contributor

ECBG: thanks for tips and pics. I also have been struggling with decorating this area. You have given me some hope and ideas. Hope you continue to "hang" around. What a lovely gift to have!
Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@ECBG  I hope this isn't off-topic, but what do you think about hanging a flat-screen TV over the mantle?  I haven't done it, but it seems many people do.

@ValuSkr

This would make a great thread all on it's own! 

I simply hate a TV over the mantel/fireplace. It totally ruins the look of the wall, the mantel, the fireplace itself, and looks too modern, and detracts from the entire room in my opinion. 

I don't even allow a tv in the living room at all (or any other electronic device). I like a more inviting and formal space, where people come to visit and enjoy each other, not electronics!

We do have a family room with a large tv and computer etc. so it isn't like we don't have those things, just don't want them in my living room, and especially over a beautiful fireplace/mantle

Honored Contributor

On mine I have a Large lantern with a flameless Candle, and also a beautiful but rather large vase, and two candlesticks.....That is the kind of things I like to use in decorating. I do have lots of photos in my living room, but it is a wall collage of photos....I think if you are a mimimalist, you may only want to put one or two things on your mantle, I like the look of clocks, candles, lanterns, vases, or photos.....You can try a few different things to see what you like best. I did experiment a bit with mine to find what I liked best! 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I always like either a large mirror or a large painting or sclupture over a mantal, then little or nothing actually on the mantal. If you'd like more light, a mirror reflects light back into the room.

I don't have a mantal but I do have a whole wall entertainment center that has a shelf across, but I can't help the OP as I have framed family pictures on mine with some scattered seashells of all different sizes and shapes around the pictures to be more interesting.

@151949,You can always create a picture wall with a few added narrow shelves to put items.  You don't have to have furniture under it.

Shelves over couch so it is easy to change up with minimal wall damage. Layer empty frames with maybe some lace doilies in them for texture:

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a close old friend who is a very successful interior decorator.Her take on mantels is - either you have a theme of sorts ( like a holiday or a season ) and you go whole hog on the theme - for instance a Christmas garland , then a large lit up sleigh then on either side of the sleigh lanterns or candles , then something floral to finish it off. OR - you go minimal. Hang something over the mantel like a painting or a mirror, and then just a large vase or flowers or a treasured picture with small vase of flowers beside it on one side. Very minimal. In other words - All out or very little - commit to one or the other, and don't waver.

For me personally - I feel that if something is going to take up the #1 real estate in my living room - the mantel shelf- then it needs to be something that lives in my heart not just something I bought in a home decor store. And that is why my entertainment center shelf is covered in framed family photos. 15 of them. But that is just my idea and my taste - and I'm no decorator.