Respected Contributor

Re: Item H225481 - Valerie v. Hobby Lobby

@stevieb wrote:

Some of us have been saying for years that much of what Parr-Hill offers is obtained wholesale by companies that then minimally individualize the items for numerous vendors  to turn around and sell at retail and that MANY of these exact same or very similar items are widely available at any number of other retail sources. I've seen many like or similar items at Home Goods for much less and shipping is neither a factor nor an added expense.

Sadly once Valerie sold out to the Chinese her line deteoriated.  Many years ago she manufactured items in the USA such as wreaths and soy candles from Arkansas.  The Chinese now own over one trillion dollars of US Treasury Bonds

Super Contributor

I own a lot of Valerie items that I've purchased over the years. There seems to be some items that are uniquely hers, namely "illuminated" battery-operated items. I own many light-up icons for the different seasons (hearts for Valentine's, bunnies for Easter, red/white/blue for patriotic, acorns for Harvest, etc) and I have never seen anything comparable in the stores. Same with battery-operated gingerbread houses.

But I have noticed that she seems to be selling a much bigger variety of things than she used to. The same VPH Christmas figuring candlesticks were sold at Lakeside Collection for a third of the price. Her items seem to be a lot more random in style. So I am not surprised to see the identical umbrella at HL.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb.  My theory is that hundreds of purveyors of decorative items all attend giant trade shows in Asia, probably China, where they order merchandise that they will be selling.  That's why so many end up with the same merchandise.   I think jewelry retailers do the same thing.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  Trade shows and trade representatives there and here and a lot of it done electronically, especially now. I don't know that there's any segment of goods anymore where lower-end and middle of the road merchandise isn't mass produced, mostly in Asia and then mass marketed by a variety of retailers all selling pretty much the same things.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Buyer beware.  IMO many "brand names" are made by the same manufacturer.  It pays to shop around.

Trusted Contributor

I'm sorry that happened to you, but it's definitely a lesson learned.

I used to buy so many of Valerie's items because I always thought they were "hers."  To this day it is implied that she actually creates them.  The hosts imply it and Valerie does as well.  That might be true for certain items, but she has thousands of items on her page here.  There is no way she is creating all of that in such a short period of time.

I live on Long Island and Hobby Lobby wasn't around until three or four years ago here.  Once they opened, I started seeing items that were either very similar to or exact duplicates of what Valerie was selling on QVC for A LOT more money.  I honestly felt duped and couldn't believe it.  So, if I see something of Valerie's that I like, I always check out Hobby Lobby first.  Chances are they have the same exact thing for a fraction of the cost.

That being said, Valerie does have some unique items (whether she "creates" them or not).  I did buy a large and beautiful domed cloche from her a few years ago.  Yes, there are cloches everywhere, but this one was different.  I still haven't seen one like it.  That was a purchase worth the money for me.

Yes, return that umbrella.  I can see they have made it unavailable on here now.  I wonder if they saw this thread and took it down.  Good for you for calling them out on this!

Esteemed Contributor

Usually Hobby Lobby has seasonal items in their stores before Valerie has her shows.

Regular Contributor

@Grade1Teach (Fellow Long Islander) I seldom buy any of Valerie's items anymore.  The umbrella sold out before it was even presented and I thought how lucky I was to get it.  Looked so cute.   I noticed it was available again yesterday and after I posted here that it's cheaper at HL suddenly it was no longer available.  Buyer beware is right.  Now I'm done buying her items.  Just like everyone says - there are similar or nicer items at Home Goods and Hobby Lobby.  I feel like I've been duped.

Esteemed Contributor

@Scooty wrote:

I just received the decorative hanging umbrella in green polka dot and it's so cute.  I was all set to write a review when I saw someone asked a question if this was the same item that Hobby Lobby sells.  So I checked HL's website and sure enough there it is for $18.00.  With s&h and tax I owe QVC just under $50.  I'm sick.  What a pain to pack it up and bring to the post office!

@Scooty  For the difference in price, I'd gladly send it back!
Respected Contributor

I thought Valerie designed her own products.  I guess she does not.  I prefer buying locally anyway.