Regular Contributor

Item H225481 - Valerie v. Hobby Lobby

I just received the decorative hanging umbrella in green polka dot and it's so cute.  I was all set to write a review when I saw someone asked a question if this was the same item that Hobby Lobby sells.  So I checked HL's website and sure enough there it is for $18.00.  With s&h and tax I owe QVC just under $50.  I'm sick.  What a pain to pack it up and bring to the post office!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Item H225481 - Valerie v. Hobby Lobby

Lesson learned, I guess.  I have never purchased anything of hers, though I have been tempted.  Decorative items I ususally like to buy in person because if they are hand made, hand painted, etc., there can be differences in the quality of the item.  Plus, I like to support my local stores on stuff like that.  Clothes and jewelry however, I go to QVC.

So I wonder if she just gets her stuff from the same supplier as Hobby Lobby.  At one time I actually thought she designed all the items she sold, but that can not be the case.  We have a Hobby Lobby very close to us and I just love that store.  I want to buy everything in it.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Scooty.  If you use the Q return label, you can go to the USPS website and request a pick up.  They'll come get it whenever you want and email a receipt.  No hassle.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I'm sorry that happened to you. While I like watching her shows sometimes I do often think her items resemble what I see at Hobby Lobby and are a lot less expensive. 

Contributor

You are absolutely right. I checked and they do have it at Hobby Lobby. Send it back, that way , you won't regret buying it.

Regular Contributor

Thanks Kachina624.  I'll do that.

Respected Contributor

Wow...yes...so there it is...finally some solid proof.

I've bought items from Valerie over the years, but very selectively.

I have a few lanterns I've never seen elsewhere, though I'm sure they exist. I enjoy them and am glad I have them...good quality, fairly priced. Never saw these types in a HomeGoods etc.  Also a floral swag years ago...beautiful qualtiy.

I also used to buy some things for my mom's assisted living apt, to decorate with seasonally, because she enjoyed them.

However, like many here, I've also known Home Goods & Hobby Lobby have many things, if not exact but just as nice for much better pricing. And I'd comparison shop...if I didn't see exactly what she had and I really wanted it, I'd go for it.

I have not been going to these type stores during pandemic, but have not bought from Valerie either...even though I sometimes enjoy watching her shows.

Worth returning for that difference, (even paying for return shipping, (annoying) still less) as long as you can still pick it up at Hobby Lobby. 

Good idea @Kachina624 gave you to pack it up and have USPS just pick it up.

Esteemed Contributor

@Scooty What a difference! I have bought several VPH items over the years - usually on "as is." I did like the umbrella; and, thanks to you, I think I'll order from HL. I remember seeing one of her wreaths at Michaels a few years back, but the price was comparable. Valerie's team shops the huge Christmas home decor show in Atlanta in January, according to posts from a few years ago; so, I guess she shops where the other retailers shop. I will continue to follow Valerie on QVC, because I like her ideas, and I'm not great at decorating.

Honored Contributor

@Scooty wrote:

I just received the decorative hanging umbrella in green polka dot and it's so cute.  I was all set to write a review when I saw someone asked a question if this was the same item that Hobby Lobby sells.  So I checked HL's website and sure enough there it is for $18.00.  With s&h and tax I owe QVC just under $50.  I'm sick.  What a pain to pack it up and bring to the post office!

@Scooty   When I have to return something, I go online and arrange for USPS to pick it up at the regular mail delivery time, this way it is free, and I leave it out in the morning of that day, very easy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some of us have been saying for years that much of what Parr-Hill offers is obtained wholesale by companies that then minimally individualize the items for numerous vendors to turn around and sell at retail and that MANY of these exact same or very similar items are widely available at any number of other retail sources. I've seen many like or similar items at Home Goods for much less and shipping is neither a factor nor an added expense.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...